Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Combo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combo Questions

THIS IS ALL FOR AN 05 GTO M6
are the typhoon intakes worth it? is the fast really that much better? i like the looks of the polished P.P. intake and if the power is considerable ill do it. I can pick one up for 486.99 new.also it should fit an ls2 correct?

then for clutches are the centerforce dualfriction clutches a good piece for the LS series cars. the car wont see hardley any track time. mainly just be a daily driver with good power and looks. i can get one for like $350 new.
lastly are the bm shifters good for the gto's? i can pick one up new for like $190.
are these prices pretty good?
im just trying to get an idea of how much ill need to have to get this done during the thanksgiving/christmas time.

the combo im thinking of will consist of:
the intake above
tsp magic stick 3 kit
tsp tune
pacesetter coated longtubes
cats cut out along wtih resonator
bm shifter
spec or centerforce clutch

does this sounded like a reasonable combo for over 400rwhp?

Last edited by mastermacbayter1; 05-27-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as far as the Typhoon goes, I can't say. Some have installed it and like it, but since our cars already suffer so badly from heat soak, I would try to stay away from a solid chunk of aluminum for an intake. The FAST intakes are proven pieces.....albeit very expensive.

I've never used a centerforce clutch, but most of the guys making big power in their GTOs swear by the Textralia clutches. I've known a few SPEC clutches that have failed, so I stay away from those. If you're just looking to make 450hp to the tires, you might be better off just getting the LS7 clutch instead...it's much cheaper.

As for the B&M shifter......STAY AWAY from that piece of chit. They leak, and are infamous for breaking. One guy had to use a pair of vise-grips to shift his car to get it home after the shaft sheared off on his. If you want a REAL shifter, I suggest the GMM Ripshift....or there is a new one out by Billet Products that is getting good reviews.

The pacesetter headers are cheap, but they're not stainless, and they WILL eventually start to rust, even if they are coated. The early run had fitment issues, but the latest revision seems to be better. I would personally go with Kooks as a first choice, or StainlessWorks/SLP, but if you don't have the coin, and don't care how long they last, the pace setters should be fine.

How much power are you hoping to make with the car, and will it see alot of track time, or will it mostly be street driven?