Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing an Autometer Cobalt Series Water Temp Guage... a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Installing an Autometer Cobalt Series Water Temp Guage... a few questions...

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to install the sensor for my water temp guage. I've heard you can install the sensor on the back of the Passenger side head. My questions are...

1. If I install it on the rear of the passenger side head, how does the plug come out? Is it just like an allen head unscrew type thing?

2. Where exactly is this plug?

3. Do I need any kind of thread adapter for the sensor autometer sent me to fit into there?

4. What do you guys recommend for sealant use on the threads?

5. Is it worth going in the back passenger head? Or should I/Can I T-off the water temp sensor on the front of the driver side head?

oh yea... if any of you have pictures of this plug that would be great!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autometer has a special sensor that fits where the plug is, it's metric but I don't know the thread size. I think it costs about $10. Before I found out Auto meter had the correct sensor I tried to find an adapter to no avail. I was ready to get the head drilled and tapped. In despiration I called Autometer which I should have done in the first place. I don't know why the retailers that sell these gauges don't give you the info up front.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

this looks like the adapter i need

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=61
Old 05-28-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the carbon fiber gauges and I just went out to the shop and checked my set up. My heads are off since I'm doing a 408. The adapter you are looking at is correct, but the sensor that comes with the gauge is wrong. The threads are in fact M12x1.5, however there is about a 1/2" unthreaded part of the sensor that goes beyond the threaded part. That "rod" will NOT fit in the adapter. You need another sensor with the same threads but no "rod". My sensor has a -28 on it. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone else have any answers to my other questions?