Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

A Couple Of Questions From A Potential C5 Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Couple Of Questions From A Potential C5 Owner.

Hello fellas.

Basically, it's like this, i own a 1998 BMW M3, and i am very VERY dissapointed with the potential for modification in this car, i have been like this for a long time, basically, anything short of a turbo kit is an absolute waste of time, however, turbo kits, at least half-descent ones with around 370-400whp are usually around 8000-11000 USD. I am absolutely not interested in dropping that much money on a kit that is basically the end of the line in terms of MORE performance, and much less engine longevity.

I want to buy a corvette, and to be quite honest, i feel more comfortable owning a domestic, as my friends all do (F-bodies mostly), and i want a faster car. I think the snapping point last night was when i went up against a Type-R integra and beat him, but was later taken out by a 1990 TSi Talon running 20 psi. I think i've had just about enough of the M3, it's a nice, car, but that is where i think the problems begin. I want something more.

For a mod list, for a corvette, i was thinking along the lines of:
-Fast 90/90
-Exhaust
-Centerforce or Spec clutch
-Drag Radials or Slicks
-100-150 Shot
-MS4 or something similar
-Heads
-Coilovers

I am wondering what kind of power and q/m speed i could be looking at with and without the nitrous going down the track, and what kind of speed i'd be looking at on the street with summer tires.

Ive been looking around for a couple of 6 speed corvettes, prices seem to be hovering around 15-20k for now, but please give me your input, i'm looking for some guidance. Thanks guys.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if your wanting to spend 15-20K on a corvette your looking at a 98-00 model. They make right around 290-300 at the wheels for a 6speed. As far as mods go, if you want a cam and heads, you need everything to go along with it. Dual spring kit, pushrods, pully, timeing chain, oil pump, gaskets, bolts, fluids, etc. TO go with those mods you need headers, exhaust, intake, tune. If your going to do all that, and drag race on slick, you will be needing a DTE brace and think about upgrading the rearend soon. I would suggest get a C5 and spend some time driving on, then start to mod it. Dont just throw mods at it, do the research on what works best and how everything works together.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jargan04
Well if your wanting to spend 15-20K on a corvette your looking at a 98-00 model. They make right around 290-300 at the wheels for a 6speed. As far as mods go, if you want a cam and heads, you need everything to go along with it. Dual spring kit, pushrods, pully, timeing chain, oil pump, gaskets, bolts, fluids, etc. TO go with those mods you need headers, exhaust, intake, tune. If your going to do all that, and drag race on slick, you will be needing a DTE brace and think about upgrading the rearend soon. I would suggest get a C5 and spend some time driving on, then start to mod it. Dont just throw mods at it, do the research on what works best and how everything works together.
Ive factored most of these types of costs into my initial analysis, im more concerned with the fact that you just mentioned rear end...how durable are the ones found on C5s?

As for a 98-2000, i know, i actually want an FRC vette, t-tops were never for me.

And as for driving the car before throwing on the mods, believe me, i know

Back in 2003 or so i had a chance to test drive a 996 Turbo by myself, that was the fastest car ive ever driven, and the fact that the corvette would be on par with that car's performance stock for stock back then, and then have mods on it to do 10s is plenty scary. When i buy one, i will definetly drive it for a little bit before i dump money and time into mods that will make it a true animal.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

a DTE brace and hardened output shaft (drivers side is the weak link) will go a long way, also do the rear end clutch springs when you're installing the output shaft... please for the love of all that is holy do not buy a centerforce, they are crap in these cars... McLeod is the only way to go for me but a bit pricey.... do the driveline first, getting horsepower out of the engine is the easy part, you want everything to stay together... an ls6 intake manifold will be a bit less money than the fast and have allmost the same hp... heads/cam, injectors, pushrods, springs, ect., full exhaust system and a tune will be putting down some nice horsepower for the $$ spent, probably an easy 440-460 depending on how crazy you go w/heads/cam.... you can allways do the coilovers later on, but play w/the stock suspension first, there's a ton of adjustability there, maybe some stiffer sway bars and metal endlinks, along w/ some bilstien(spelling?) shocks... I went w/the crazy stiff T1 springs also....

happy hunting

Last edited by Assassin; 05-29-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

If your looking for a cheaper car to mod the vette is not what you want.

If you do get a vette and need a clutch go with a textrilla.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
If your looking for a cheaper car to mod the vette is not what you want.

If you do get a vette and need a clutch go with a textrilla.
Cheaper isnt an issue, i already know the LSx is the best $$$/Hp car to modify. My current car is not the best for $$$/Hp, infact, it's probably the worst.

Alright, so McLeod or Textrilla....?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

I hear good things about the LS7 clutch.

I'd do cam, headers, 100 nitrous, clutch and let 'er rip!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I hear good things about the LS7 clutch.

I'd do cam, headers, 100 nitrous, clutch and let 'er rip!
Would things hold together for a few passes? I'd like to see what kind of numbers something like that would net..
Old 05-29-2007, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

I think it's all about babying the car off the line. Really there are very IRS cars that you launch super hard anyway.

Might want to save up towards a Z06... car is lighter and makes more power. You can get 01's for mid to low 20's... My 02 feels like a 12.0 car stock.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Zlatko, where are you located?......

btw, I can 5k dump my car all day long w/my setup (on sticky tires), going on 2 years w/this mcleod and not feeling a bit of wear, including 2 seasons of racing... its only a 1000hp clutch!!!...
Old 05-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

I just bought an '01 Zo6 last week with 43k miles...... sex at 175mph!

If you're questioning your overall potential with this car... maybe this will help your judgment.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...44a64a65c7.htm

The 1st 2.5 minutes is an exotic only carshow, the other 2.5 minutes is watching an '02 Zo6 with nothing but headers/x pipe/catback destroy everything from a Carrera Turbos S, Diablo, Ferrari 360/430 several times back to back...

Your choice should be simple.... buy a Zo6 and add a few parts. f#ck BMW
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Trust me man, you want to get a vette. They are phenominal cars as far as speed and style and ride quality go. I just bought a 2002 Coupe and love it. And it doesnt take much to run 10 or 11 sec. 1/4 mile time slips.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Didnt any LS1 past 2000 already have the LS6 intake on it?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Teching In

u can hear the ls6 intake if it has one.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Assassin
Zlatko, where are you located?......
I live in Southern Ontario, Canada.

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
I just bought an '01 Zo6 last week with 43k miles...... sex at 175mph!

If you're questioning your overall potential with this car... maybe this will help your judgment.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...44a64a65c7.htm

The 1st 2.5 minutes is an exotic only carshow, the other 2.5 minutes is watching an '02 Zo6 with nothing but headers/x pipe/catback destroy everything from a Carrera Turbos S, Diablo, Ferrari 360/430 several times back to back...

Your choice should be simple.... buy a Zo6 and add a few parts. f#ck BMW
I never doubted the potential of the Corvette, i simply wanted to know how much work i'd need to get it into the 10s. I dont really care much for the car being able to beat a bunch of 12-13 second "exotics", with owners who need to stroke their egos.

I just want a car to drag, that is somewhat original (at least in Canada it would be), that can actually have performance gain for the money

Originally Posted by silverbullitt02
Trust me man, you want to get a vette. They are phenominal cars as far as speed and style and ride quality go. I just bought a 2002 Coupe and love it. And it doesnt take much to run 10 or 11 sec. 1/4 mile time slips.
Cool! I just have one question, how does the Y-Body's seating position compare to the F-Body? Is it difficult to see over the hood of the car? And how high is the seat in the vette?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls11
u can hear the ls6 intake if it has one.
In the imortal words of the Geico caveman, "Umm What?", you cannot hear a LS6 intake manifold lol, and yes any 2001 + LS1 has an LS6 Manifold.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Also, i have one more question..

How are the LS1 corvettes to work on in comparison with LS1 F-Bodies?

The F-Bodies i noticed 33% of the engine is behind the cowl, and it's a serious bitch to get certain things bolted down in the rear, how does the corvette compare?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlatko
Also, i have one more question..

How are the LS1 corvettes to work on in comparison with LS1 F-Bodies?

The F-Bodies i noticed 33% of the engine is behind the cowl, and it's a serious bitch to get certain things bolted down in the rear, how does the corvette compare?
C5 = much easier in my opinion for things like heads and headers, intake manifold. Drivetrain is more difficult, but once you do it a few times it's cake.

yes any 01+ LSx car has an LS6 intake..

And "Hearing" an intake manifold.... thats a new one... ROFLMAO.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Going from a 99mph M3 to a 110mph C5 or a 116mph Z06-dont even worry about mods for a little while. Get used to the extra power.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pakisho
Going from a 99mph M3 to a 110mph C5 or a 116mph Z06-dont even worry about mods for a little while. Get used to the extra power.
Oh dont worry, i will , i still need to go for a test drive to see how the car fits.

Quick Reply: A Couple Of Questions From A Potential C5 Owner.