Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette Pulley Install???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette Pulley Install???

I searched and searched. Did not come up with anything. Anyone know of a write-up? Or have some pointers? Does the rack have to come out completely? Any info would be great.
TIA
Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
I searched and searched. Did not come up with anything. Anyone know of a write-up? Or have some pointers? Does the rack have to come out completely? Any info would be great.
TIA
Yep the rack has to be removed. Look at ls1howto.com they did a cam install on a C5 and talk about what needs to be done to put a pully on. It's just like doing one on a fbody, but the rack has to be removed.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

about half way down the page
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1

yes the rack has to come out and in my opinion its the worst part of any cam/head swap
Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

I saw that article and was not sure if they did that to get the timing set out or the pulley. Thanks guys. I will use that.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I second that it is a pain that additional step of realignment.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

You need an alignment? Why? As long as you do not move the end links I would think it would be ok.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know maybe I'm an idiot it just always seems like my steering wheel is cocked to the side when I remove it. LOL.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
about half way down the page
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1

yes the rack has to come out and in my opinion its the worst part of any cam/head swap

I absolutly hate that ****.

One of the worst parts of working on the cars. For you all that still have mono leaf springs, I feel for you. Those things DO make the job harder when lowering the cradle, and moving the rack outta the way.

I have done several cam swaps on vettes,...never have I completly removed the actual rack assembly. I just lower the cradle, to unsafe levels, take a pogo stick, under my rack, and raise it up,...and I lower the cradle more. Everything is supported for safety reasons but....it is a bitch.

If your going through the trouble of changing the pulley, you might as well change the camshaft why your at it if your still stock. Trust me,...it's time saved in the future.

Clutches, and cam swaps on Y-bodies blow.

Peace out
Old 05-29-2007, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

This is my dad's car. I tried to talk him into the cam swap, but he is not ready yet. Just wants the pulley for now.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

UMMM.... rack does NOT have to come out... undo one tie rod on one side, unbolt the two big bolts and the PS cooler and then pop the rack up far enough to get the crank pulley off. it IS possible (ive done mine many a time now)

also.. unlike popular believe you CAN tighten the bolt with the rack in. undo the motor mounts, jack the engine up by the bellhousing being careful not to hit the intake manifold on the cowl. take out the two mounting bolts on the rack and push the wheels towards each other and pull the rack down... gives ya JUST enough clearance to tighten the bolt on the crank pully.

i have had ALOT of shitty experiences with my crank pully lol...
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

OK. We have pretty much everything loose and the rack will not move enough to get to the pulley. I would prefer to get it mostly out of the way. I read the ls1howto right up and they remove a ton of stuff that seams unnecessary for the pulley since they are trying to get to the cam. There is one line going into the gearbox that we can not get loose for nothing. Is this the last thing to remove to get the rack out of the way? Where is the cooler? Is it that one line that loops in front of the rack? That is loose from the cross member but not the pump or the rack and I feel it is what is holding us up right now.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

I've done this a thousand times every way imaginable on my C6 which is just about the same as the C5. I think I hear you saying that the rack is loose but won't slide out of the way because the lines to the pump are still on. I've taken those off but take note to how they are routed. Its a bitch to get them back if you forget. I think the easiest way is to drop the k member enough to get at it. Either way it aint no fun at all. If you have some specific questions let me know.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 AM
MJD
12 Second Club

Use a flare nut wrench on that nut or you will round it over. I had the same problem with that nut, the one closest to the wheel well. You may want to try getting to it through the wheel well. I believe it will also help if you can have someone wiggle the line as you try and break it loose. If you have active handling the bracket will have to come out to move the rack.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

I pulled the bracket for active handling (I thought it was for ABS) and tried to loosen the nut and no go. I guess we need to get a line wrench on it and really rip on it.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
This is my dad's car. I tried to talk him into the cam swap, but he is not ready yet. Just wants the pulley for now.

true.

Quick Reply: Corvette Pulley Install???