Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tore into the tranny today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tore into the tranny today.

Slider keys (3-4 gears) beat up a little.

Fork pads also beat up a little.

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, I bought it used in beat up shape and the keys were mangled, same with the pads.

The gears and synchros look fine but I'm going to email SixSpeeds.Inc some pics to see if they're in ok condition. Time for billet keys and bronze pads at least (going to purchase from 6spd.inc), don't know what else is really needed.

Bearings all look fine although I'm thinking it's a good time to replace some of the needle bearings.

Anybody know proven methods to try and improve hard shifting (ie remove some notchyness). I don't care to get it faceplated just yet but would like to do what I can with the current setup. Polishing synchro sleeves?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:08 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean sleeve's & speed gear teeth per service manual. That & new blocker rings do wonders usually. But IMO a good releasing clutch is the most important thing. I am a fan of the adjustable master cylinders to get the pedal play to the minimum. Just to get the most out of a hydraulic clutch set up.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

ive heard of people grinding off some gears on the blocker rings, but ive never done it and im not sure if there are consenquences with it...im sure there are.

also is this the second time youve rebuild the tranny? i noticed the steel 3-4 fork.

also howd that puller work for you? ive only ever used a press.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawns30thannZ28
ive heard of people grinding off some gears on the blocker rings, but ive never done it and im not sure if there are consenquences with it...im sure there are.

also is this the second time youve rebuild the tranny? i noticed the steel 3-4 fork.

also howd that puller work for you? ive only ever used a press.
That's what I'm thinking too, I'll ask 6spdinc and see what they recommend. I saw a T56 for sale ad. on here and the seller mentioned "polished sleeves". That peaked my curiousity. Based off of that I wonder if maybe chamfering them a bit will help with the keys sliding across them.

Yeah, this is the 2nd time I have rebuilt it. I bought it in poor shape. This are some pics from the first rebuild.

Put in new synchros etc, basic rebuild. At the time I was commuting 2hrs a day to work and back and bought a used transmission and rebuilt it on the side. I didn't put anything special other than the steel shiftfork.

She held up the first year with no issues, this last year I've put nothing but track passes on her, she finally gave up the ghost.

This is the homemade puller I'm using. Some Harbor Freight cheapy puller with some extensions I made from mild steel strips. Just drilled a couple holes through them.

Do you use a bearing splitter to get the stuff off with a press?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

yea ive been using a bearing splitter. thats puller looks pretty nice.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pictures. You've inspired me to rebuild mine since its out now for a new clutch. Any advice for a first-timer other than follow the manual?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't see all of the teeth but from the pictures the 2nd gear is chewed up. The teeth should not be shinny like that. Email me the pics and I will call you tomorrow about what you need.

Amber
Old 05-31-2007, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Amber

I snapped the pics today. They are high quality jpgs, I figured more detail is better than not enough. I PM'd you the link so you can download the pics. Probably easier that way. It's 30mb.

Frank

Last edited by SScam68; 05-31-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Thanks for the pictures. You've inspired me to rebuild mine since its out now for a new clutch. Any advice for a first-timer other than follow the manual?
Just keep yourself organized. I really only used the exploded view on the first couple of the pages of the manual. You can easily see the pattern of assembly. I would make sure EVERY part in the manual was accounted for and installed properly. Take your time, and do yourself a favor. Buy a small propane torch for the alignment pins. I went through 5 bits getting those trying to get those suckers to budge.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

yea use vasoline or grease to keep snap rings, washers etc in place. for example ide set my 5th gear stuff all together in the order it was pulled so it makes it easier to go back on. also pay very close attention to where the extra line on your slider/sleeve is facing.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Well gave Amber@6spdsinc a call and gave me a lot of good info on these transmissions.

Shot her some more pics of all the gears and the wear and tear on them and she pointed out the sleeves were beat up and the 3rd gear was burned up. This is apparently typical T-56's if not maintained properly, i.e. regular oil changes. She also urged me to use Mobil 1. I used RP for 1/2 a season and it eats up the blocker rings, so I'm gonna have to replace those irregardless.

The bill on parts alone was going to be $700. Although I can swing the bill I'm in dire need of suspension stuff as well. So I tore into the spare transmission I had today to see what I could salvage.

I guess I won't need to buy 3rd gear for now. Crown isn't burned up

this is the one that was in my car

This is the first time I crack open this transmission. A week after buying the car (3yrs ago ) I had problems with it popping out of reverse. Once I got it open this was the nice suprise I got. The 5-6 pads are like this too. 3-4 were on there way out. The transmission only has 30k miles on it and I sure as hell don't race in reverse or 5th and 6th so I was completely suprised by this.

Damn achilles heel of T-56's.