Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

subfeame and stb

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default subframe and stb

I just purchased a 2000 SS vert,i prev had a 99 c5, i want to tighten up car it feels loose and jiggily compared t my vette was , how much will strut tower brace and sub frame connectors help, and does it make a difference, i also noticed not to many manufactures for sub frames who do you all reccomend

Last edited by speedydog5; 05-29-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forget the STB... sfc's are a good idea but you would be better served with shocks & springs for a tighter feeling... talk to sam strano (stranoparts.com) if you think that would be a good idea (he'll hook ya up). Koni's are top notch but his revalved bilsteins are excellent as well with his springs.

SFC's are a very good investment for cars with higher mileage to tighten stuff up and will certainly help in many aspects (traction,handling,rattles) but many people will argue that shocks & springs will do the same and more.

The strut top bar is sort of last suspension mod kind of thing. Luckily its a cheap one. Your best bet for suspension stuff would be:

Shocks & Springs..
then Pan Hard Bar..
then SFC's..

Edit : I just noticed you had a vert I think the SFC's tend to help the verts a bit more than the coupes so they might be an even better idea than I thought.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed a small change in ride quality with the subframe connectors I purchased. I think its because my car is a low mileage Trans Am with 27k when I purchased it. I drive it like a baby 98% percent of the time so I don't think the frame has been put through a lot of abuse. Maybe on a high-mileage car it would be ideal. My friend, CHIWS6 welded on his subframe connectors and said it was a "night and day" difference. I dunno. I'd still get them to tighten up the frames under load though.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

i noticed a slight increase in "harshness" when i had my SFC installed (mileage was about 45K miles).

but i think it was due to the fact that i was feeling the road more, the suspension was doing its job and the frame wasn't absorbing anything. more over i think it revealed that the stock suspension was starting to show its age.

the car did feel much more solid after though.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

The sfc's will definitely help, it made a huge difference on my car. My sister asked why my car feels better all of a sudden, and she doesnt even ride in the car often.

stb is....whatever, i didnt notice any real difference, but i keep telling myself that at least in theory it should help, lol

Springs and shocks will make a huge difference, be careful and make sure your shocks match your springs
Old 05-31-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that a covertible is going to be loose do to the apparent fact it does not have a top . SFCs will help correct this as well as other traction mods . My friend put a roll bar in his bird and said it made a difference .

Quick Reply: subfeame and stb