Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: Is my HU dying?
probably...
0%
yes.
100.00%
absolutely.
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

-Is my HU dying??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default -Is my HU dying??

brief background: HU is 5 years old approximately, Kenwood Excelon (higher end) model. Started having problems just recently after I blew my 10" sub (300wRMS) -- blown as in the actual definition (zero movement, infinite resistance across voice coil).

Problem I am having occurs in CD and radio mode -- but effects only the CD mode. It simply makes a dying buzzing sound through the speakers (sounds like as if there was a power outtage in the house or something) and then the CD player will continue to COUNT seconds on the CD, you can switch tracks...etc... however no sound comes out. If I switch to radio mode then, you CAN hear sound...but it clicks/pops sometimes and when you turn the volume up or down - at each level change you can hear it make a static clicking noise through the speakers.

This happens sometimes when it's sitting still, sometimes moving -- it comes back after powering off sometimes, other times on it's own, other times after it shakes.....

I just relocated the ground and got the same results.

Any advice/ideas/opinions are appreciated -- tho I feel the HU is just on it's way out...

EDIT: checked all wires as well..nothing loose -- tried pulling/twisting everything while playing CD...didn't necessarily effect anything.....nothing from the old amp (amp, wires, etc) is connected to the HU..
Old 05-29-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turns out the HU is not dying -- the connection at the back (where it plugs into the HU itself) was just loose -- and only cuts out if you bend it downward (which I didn't notice before when I randomly was moving it) -- so for now the connection is tightened up with some paper acting as a shim and a zip-tie to pull the wires upward. All of the pins looked good...and by loose - I mean hardly at all -- it just has to be physically pushed in place and held there (cant see any movement really).....

Maybe I'll try ordering a new harness and hope it fits better..

Not completely sure why this only effects CD play though......................... (single disc CD in HU)
Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N/M, you figured it out.