Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting 2000 Z28 interior into a 70 Chevelle El Camino

Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fitting 2000 Z28 interior into a 70 Chevelle El Camino

I am playing with the idea of seeing how much can be converted from my 2000 z28 parts car to fit into a 1970 El Camino for the interior.

I have pulled and saved everything from the Z28. Now I am at a point where I need to decide what to part out and what to keep. Since my Elky is from AZ, the interior is so far gone, that nothing but the steel is good; so not much to lose.

I would love to customize my Elky with the following from the Z28:

Dash and instrument panel from the Z28, since my gauges are the stock sweep style. I measured the width across of the dash from end to end quickly and that of the Elky and they very are close.

Install the hvac setup, so I would have a nice setup. My elky setup is a mess and is torn apart from prior owners. I know it will require some firewall modifications but I plan on cutting out the hvac port on the Camaro and re-welding it in if hvac clears the inner fender wells of the Elky.

Steering column; Tilt, cruise, steering wheel controls versus just a steering wheel.

Trans tunnel. Cut out the section and patch into the elky floor. I have to modify it anyways. It already made for to fit with the right clearance plus mounting holes for e-brake and console are in the right place. Is there a difference between the T56 and Auto?

Has anyone done any type of these conversions?

Thanks – John
Old 05-30-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whoa, that is a ballsy project!!! When you get this thing going, let us know, we aren't too far from you. I woul dimagine the column will be the hardest part to graft, people swap gauge clusters, but I have not seen anyone swap an entire dash before. Seats should be pretty easy, and the tunnel may require a bit of fabrication. May be better to swap the HVAC over to one of the Vintage Air type units, I believe you will have a bit of work on you hands getting the 00 stuff to fit. The add on type use small flexible ducts instead of rigid wierd shaped plastic ducts. Depending on how handy you are, you may want to look at grafting the entire firewall if it is close in dimensions. Watch you sheetmetal mount points, and I am not sure if the overhand at the cowl in the 00 will give you trouble. Post some pics when you get things moving, this thread could wind up as cool as Pete's...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Default Already been done!

elesquon swapped the entire dash and firewall from a camaro into a 67 elky about two years ago so that he could use the steering column, dash, hvac, etc...

Here is a link to one of his posts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/introductions-greetings/301508-new-guy-w-67-el-camino.html

Lot's and lot's of work and fabrication... but that the fun part, isn't it!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Thanks for the link!!!

Now that I know it can be done, I can start planning.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Restricted User

I also used alot of my 99Z parts car.
Dale
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35790
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Nice,

I had a 76 formula for my 'first car'. I loved that car but had to sell it for school.

- John

Last edited by enganeer; 05-31-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fitting 2000 Z28 interior into a 70 Chevelle El Camino