General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another overheating thread 01 LS1

Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another overheating thread 01 LS1

I'll make it short and sweet. I ran the dog **** out of it several months ago, got home and it boiled over. Took it to get it pressure tested and flushed. They said everything was fine. Went to the beach and was driving home cruising about 2 weeks ago and the needle jumped up between 210 and the next little / mark. It hasnt gone any farther but its bothering me. It also doesnt do it all the time. The car did it one more time today along with being at a stop the oil pressure needle went below 40 a few times and popped back up like it was jumping. When I hit the gas it straightens up.

Maybe T-stat? I also need plugs and wires, throwing a p1415 air code. The list goes on and on.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Forgot to add in that when I turn the car off now, theres a sound coming from the radiator like someone taking a huge hit off of a bong.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Onez4u2bn
I'll make it short and sweet. I ran the dog **** out of it several months ago, got home and it boiled over. Took it to get it pressure tested and flushed. They said everything was fine. Went to the beach and was driving home cruising about 2 weeks ago and the needle jumped up between 210 and the next little / mark. It hasnt gone any farther but its bothering me. It also doesnt do it all the time. The car did it one more time today along with being at a stop the oil pressure needle went below 40 a few times and popped back up like it was jumping. When I hit the gas it straightens up.

Maybe T-stat? I also need plugs and wires, throwing a p1415 air code. The list goes on and on.
At first thought....blown head gasket.

If air gets into the coolant system you will get boiling coolant, if the system stays sealed, it will not boil over. You can go into the red on the temp gauge and it won't boil if air is not getting into the system.
I was driving the **** out of my car (with "GOT ME SOM") and I lost the serpentine belt (so no water pump). My temp went right into the red, basically 260 degrees. I saw it and freaked out and immediately turned the key off and rolled to a stop on the highway. We pulled over and the coolant was doing nothing, it was silent. We let it cool down and drove it again until it got hot again, but I didn't let it go into the red this time, we pulled over again and let it cool back down once more. Then made it to where I parked it. The next day my coolant was full, it never sprayed out or boiled over.

A blown head gasket will allow the piston on the up-stroke (compression stroke) to push air into the coolant system via the torn/blown part of the gasket, allowing the coolant to boil. Pressure in a sealed system lowers the boiling point of a liquid, as long as air can't get in, it can get hot as hell and it won't boil. Also, if the blown area of the gasket gets big enough, when the piston is on the downstroke you can suck coolant into the piston and possibly hydralock your engine, goodbye engine. Little leaks in the beginning usually get the air pushed into the coolant system.

Time for a leakdown check to find the culprit. You can check t-stat, hoses, water flow with the fill cap off, but boiling coolant means air is in the system, and none of those things allow that to happen.

When you go driving and it doesn't boil over, is the coolant low when it cools down and you check it before starting it????

Last edited by Quickin; 05-30-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having the same problem, my coolant is boiling over the resivor....but my cooling fans arnt working so i am currently fixing that problem, i figured that was causing the boilover...from what you say it sounds like i have a head gasket problem on top of my fans!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your replys. I just took a good look at the car and found a piece newspaper infront of my a/c cooler or whatever is right underneith the hood latch. I took it out (about 7''s around). I blew out the radiator with air as much as I could. Checked the fluids and hit the street. I drove the **** out of it, got back and no boiling or anything. Just the metal ping sound. I hope thats all it was, was that paper.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

This thing is weird, it did it again today. It doesnt boil over or seem like its going to. It just gets halfway in between 210 and the next notch. I was stuck in traffic for a good while though. The car seems alright accept for that damn guage. I can turn on the heat and it will go down to 210 again
Old 05-31-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

weird. well, as far as mine goes it doesnt boil if you keep the heat on (exactilly like yours) I've determined so far that it's not the relays/fuses or the fans themselves so it must be the wireing somewere...ive heard suggestions that it might be getting caused by the new head unit that was put in the car. Apparently if it's not put in properly it can cause problems down the road. You put in a stereo system recently?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
weird. well, as far as mine goes it doesnt boil if you keep the heat on (exactilly like yours) I've determined so far that it's not the relays/fuses or the fans themselves so it must be the wireing somewere...ive heard suggestions that it might be getting caused by the new head unit that was put in the car. Apparently if it's not put in properly it can cause problems down the road. You put in a stereo system recently?
Someone told you a new stereo head unit will cause the engine to over heat?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Onez4u2bn
This thing is weird, it did it again today. It doesnt boil over or seem like its going to. It just gets halfway in between 210 and the next notch. I was stuck in traffic for a good while though. The car seems alright accept for that damn guage. I can turn on the heat and it will go down to 210 again
I've had a newspaper go up in front of the A/C condensor, the temp shoots up quickly, like in 30 seconds. The temp will go into the red, but you shouldn't get boiling over of coolant if the system is sealed like it should be.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

My **** hit 210+ on the way to beaumont last week.. i had previous thermostat problems so i figured it was the thermostat again...After we got done eating.. i go to the car to start it up and bam! knockin noise..

car is in the shop, needs new lifters, valve(s)?, and mechanic is checkin for any cracks in anything
Old 06-01-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Quickin
Someone told you a new stereo head unit will cause the engine to over heat?

no no no, just that somone wiring it wrong could cause the relays/fuses to **** up
Old 06-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My temp went right into the red, basically 260 degrees. I saw it and freaked out and immediately turned the key off and rolled to a stop on the highway. We pulled over and the coolant was doing nothing, it was silent. We let it cool down and drove it again until it got hot again, but I didn't let it go into the red this time, we pulled over again and let it cool back down once more. Then made it to where I parked it. The next day my coolant was full, it never sprayed out or boiled over.
i just wanted to comment on this.

your temperature sensor is right on the exhaust manifold. this is the hottest part of the engine. this means if your car's temp gauge suddenly says 260*, it probably is more like 220*.

when i swapped my water pump, i got a bad casting. my temp gauge was climing to red. we hit the block with a temperature gun - 180*. we hit the head directly with the temperature gun - 189*...when the sensor said 260*.

if you ever see your temperature gauge hit 260* for a second, your motor is likely barely hotter than 210*. the exhaust manifolds just heat up very quickly and cause the gauge to skyrocket.

to the OP - there's gotta be air in the system, somewhere. if i were you, i'd flush the coolant, get a new thermostat, replace the temperature sensor and put on a new serpentine belt - and if you don't mind the cost, new hoses can't hurt.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i just wanted to comment on this.

your temperature sensor is right on the exhaust manifold. this is the hottest part of the engine. this means if your car's temp gauge suddenly says 260*, it probably is more like 220*.

when i swapped my water pump, i got a bad casting. my temp gauge was climing to red. we hit the block with a temperature gun - 180*. we hit the head directly with the temperature gun - 189*...when the sensor said 260*.

if you ever see your temperature gauge hit 260* for a second, your motor is likely barely hotter than 210*. the exhaust manifolds just heat up very quickly and cause the gauge to skyrocket.

to the OP - there's gotta be air in the system, somewhere. if i were you, i'd flush the coolant, get a new thermostat, replace the temperature sensor and put on a new serpentine belt - and if you don't mind the cost, new hoses can't hurt.
I can tell you this though: Usually when my car is running at normal temps and I open the hood at a gas station just to check the oil or something, I can put my hand right on the intake or my strut tower brace or my air lid and its just warm. When I opened the hood when this happened I would have burned my hand on anything I touched under the hood. It was amazingly hot. I also tried to pull the tranny dip stick out to check it and it was too hot to hold onto, I need to use a rag. Usually, I can grab it and hold it no problem.
We were hauling ***, hitting 120-130mph and I had no water pump spinning. Maybe the coolant that was in the radiator wasn't that hot, but my engine was friggin cooking. Untouchable.

BTW, remember all the help you were giving me trying to figure out the idling issue, we thought was maybe a vacuum issue??? I pulled my plugs out and the electrodes were so degraded some were half their thickness. I put new ones in and the problem is gone. The burning oil is killing my electrodes prematurely.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you this though: Usually when my car is running at normal temps and I open the hood at a gas station just to check the oil or something, I can put my hand right on the intake or my strut tower brace or my air lid and its just warm. When I opened the hood when this happened I would have burned my hand on anything I touched under the hood. It was amazingly hot. I also tried to pull the tranny dip stick out to check it and it was too hot to hold onto, I need to use a rag. Usually, I can grab it and hold it no problem.
We were hauling ***, hitting 120-130mph and I had no water pump spinning. Maybe the coolant that was in the radiator wasn't that hot, but my engine was friggin cooking. Untouchable.

BTW, remember all the help you were giving me trying to figure out the idling issue, we thought was maybe a vacuum issue??? I pulled my plugs out and the electrodes were so degraded some were half their thickness. I put new ones in and the problem is gone. The burning oil is killing my electrodes prematurely.

i comment so much on things, i forget. whatever it was, i'm glad you fixed the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another overheating thread 01 LS1