Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Damn oil return... TC76 and Mocal pump... PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Damn oil return... TC76 and Mocal pump... PLEASE HELP!

Hi all,
Well I am thoroughly pissed and confused. I installed my TC76MPS today along with my Mocal oil return pump. This is a 04 GTO with an STS kit. I was upgrading from a T70 and stock STS return pump.

Anyways, I got everything installed, turned the key a few times, Mocal came on as it should, fired it up. The oil buzzer starts going off and on, and oil is coming out the tailpipe. The Mocal sounds as though it keeps priming then losing it's prime, then priming, and so on. Weird sound. Oil was returning back to the valve cover but it was spurratic, and was in tune with the on and off of the alarm.

As it sat I was using a .07 restrictor with what looks like a filter that came on the turbo from Turbonetics. I am not CERTAIN what the fitting is but it looks like a brass fitting with a filter down inside. I am thinking this unknown filter may be part of my troubles?

Anyways, I pullled the restrictor out, thinking that perhaps the turbo wasn't getting enough oil, therefore causing the Mocal to lose it's prime, causing the little bit of oil that was flowing to back up and come out the tailpipe. So I tried it with no restrictor, only this "filter" that came on the turbo. Same thing.

SO then I thought maybe the Mocal was bad so I put the stock STS pump back in. Same damned thing.. buzzer going off, and oil coming out the rear.

I'm lost. The only thing I can think of now is that this "filter" is restricting too much, causing the pump to lose prime and oil to backup. The Mocal came with no literature and neither did the turbo.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Adam
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you just firing up the pumps or are you turning the car on too?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

did you check all the electrical stuff going to and from the pump?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ive seen with my mocal that i needed to have the oil drain directly into the mocal.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah fired up the engine and had it running.

Electrical connections are good... the pump comes on and runs, it just seems as though it runs dry.

My return goes from from the bottom of the turbo through about 3ft of hose directly to the pump.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Adam
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

try to get a more vertical drop into the mocal.... i bet that will take care of you problems...it has to be at least "downhill" to the pump... then run it however after the pump
Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I'll give that a shot... it's just odd that the stock STS pump won't even work now how it used to.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Launching!

ground maybe loose somewhere or are you pulling power from the fuel pump relay? maybe the fuel pump is coming on and off as it builds pressure and in turn is causing your oil pump to come on and off at the same time.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigJls1
ground maybe loose somewhere or are you pulling power from the fuel pump relay? maybe the fuel pump is coming on and off as it builds pressure and in turn is causing your oil pump to come on and off at the same time.
why in the hell would his fuel pump be going on and off???
Old 06-01-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally figured it out... I feel like an ***... it turns out when I replaced my rear end last weekend, I crimped my oil return line between the swaybar and unibody. When the car was on the ground it was no problem, but as soon as I jacked it up it crimped the line right down to nothing, as I had the jackstands under the thirdmember.

Easy fix... reroute the return line so it's not crimped and no more problem... now to the dyno... hoping for 700rwhp, then going to spray on top of it.

Thanks!

Adam
Old 06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, the fitting in the turbo is the only thing that Turbonetics mandates be UNTOUCHED for their warranty. If you pull it out or disturb it, then you get no backup from T-netics...
Old 06-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dragframe
why in the hell would his fuel pump be going on and off???

Dude,
some fuel pumps as they build pressure the cut off: almost like its regulating itself. just like when you turn the key on and the pump builds pressure for a split secound then shuts off. Btw thanks for your help to this guy......oh yeah you just want to talk sh*t to me. very helpfull.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigJls1
Dude,
some fuel pumps as they build pressure the cut off: almost like its regulating itself. just like when you turn the key on and the pump builds pressure for a split secound then shuts off. Btw thanks for your help to this guy......oh yeah you just want to talk sh*t to me. very helpfull.
I believe the reason he mentioned it was the fact the the OP said he was not starting the car, and therefore there would be no reason for the fuel pump to be going on and off. Either that or the fact that combining the power supply for two pumps off the same relay doesn't really sound like a good idea in the first place. Just my .02.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dragframe
try to get a more vertical drop into the mocal.... i bet that will take care of you problems...it has to be at least "downhill" to the pump... then run it however after the pump
nope not even close............

[QUOTE]ground maybe loose somewhere

Yes this was the problem and yes this was my first suggestion.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know this doesn't help necessarily but when you get a chance, ditch that mocal. Its not exactly built for long lasting oil applications such as rear mounts. Get an enginegear or GP-301 reverso pump instead. They have bronze gears and stainless shafts among other things that are more fit for constant oil transfer.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
I know this doesn't help necessarily but when you get a chance, ditch that mocal. Its not exactly built for long lasting oil applications such as rear mounts. Get an enginegear or GP-301 reverso pump instead. They have bronze gears and stainless shafts among other things that are more fit for constant oil transfer.
price and linky? can't say all that and reccomend something different without linking us uP!!!! It manlaw... err.... carlaw... lol
Old 06-02-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM me if you want links. I dont think I can post the links here due to non-sponsor rule.
btw is your T/A a rear mount?
Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
PM me if you want links. I dont think I can post the links here due to non-sponsor rule.
btw is your T/A a rear mount?
nope... FM

technicly its not turbo.. but my trubo kit is FM ... just still beating around the bush.. not on yet...