Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help! LT1 rear brakes, caliper with new pads wont go onto new rotor...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help! LT1 rear brakes, caliper with new pads wont go onto new rotor...

I purchased new rotors and ebc greenstuff pads from ws6store.com (great customer service and quick delivery, good sponser) I got the stock rotors and pads off no problem, compressed the caliper piston back as far as I could get it, get the pads on, and now theres not enough room to even fit the caliper back onto the rotor without damaging the pads. It's contacting approx. 1/4" into the pad on the outside of the caliper. I've rotated the pads around, tried all of them in each side, and nothing. Car is a 1996 firebird formula, looked like the brakes were stock, maybe even original that I took off. any suggestions? did anybody have problems with the pads not wanting to go back on the rotors, or am I just overlooking something really obvious? Do I need to do something with the ebrake mechanism maybe?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just make sure the pads are in all the way. I've had issues with mine before(not my Z) and they just weren't into their spots all the way. Other then that i don't know. i'm doing my pads in the back of the Z soon along with new Cross Drilled and slotted rotors front and back and hope i don't have a problem
Old 05-31-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

well after a couple beers I went back out there and got the caliper onto the rotor with the rotor bolted to the axle, but its on there soo damn tight the rotor wont even turn. I'm thinkin maybe the sliders have frozen up, wonder if thats why it would do a burnout without any problem at all...
Old 05-31-2007, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh well, guess new calipers are in order, or rather just steal the brakes off the 99 thats sitting next to it...
Old 05-31-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't the 93-97 rear brakes have a parking brake where the caliper piston "unscrews" as you ratchet up the emergency brake lever?

If so, you have to turn the piston to screw it back into the caliper.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

maybe wrong rotors or pad.

Quick Reply: help! LT1 rear brakes, caliper with new pads wont go onto new rotor...