Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems please help

I have read some of the other post and some people have touched on this but no one has directly that I seen. When I race my 2000 WS6 car by the time I get through 3rd gear and want to go to 4th my clutch is stuck and I can get it out of 3rd but not into fourth. The clutch pedal stays down on the floor. I can pull it back up with my foot and pump it a few times and that eventually gets it working again. I put a master cylinder out of a 2002 TA in it and changed the fluid which appeared to be burnt pretty bad but that didnt help at all. The cluth itself has about 20 k miles on it and I never seems to slip it just gets "stuck". I have been told to put a better slave in it. anyone have any suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you have a good working 2002 slave in it then the slave should be just fine. You most likely need to either do the drill mod if you havent done so yet, or you need to drain your hydro fluid and replace it and bleed the system very well. Half *** bleeding can cause these issues. Also wrap the braided line that runs to the slave in something like heater/fuel hose and tie it off as far from your exhaust as possible. The heat from the exhaust is probably causing the fluid to boil which will cause the pedal to stick down.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 AM

well my slave is the original the master cycinder is a 2002
Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedlinedWS6
well my slave is the original the master cycinder is a 2002

I would do what I mentioned in my last post and then if the problem is still there you may need to look into replacing the slave and maybe even a new master if its leaking by chance. I still suspect it has to do with not having the drill mod or its from heating of the clutch fluid.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have read some of the other post and some people have touched on this but no one has directly that I seen. When I race my 2000 WS6 car by the time I get through 3rd gear and want to go to 4th my clutch is stuck and I can get it out of 3rd but not into fourth. The clutch pedal stays down on the floor. I can pull it back up with my foot and pump it a few times and that eventually gets it working again. I put a master cylinder out of a 2002 TA in it and changed the fluid which appeared to be burnt pretty bad but that didnt help at all. The cluth itself has about 20 k miles on it and I never seems to slip it just gets "stuck". I have been told to put a better slave in it. anyone have any suggestions. Thanks
You and I are on the same boat. Im having the same problems. I posted up a while back and am still having the same issues. I didnt do the drill mod yet either, dont really know how to do it, but Im getting frustrated. Sounds like Brad had some good ideas. Ill try to work with you to on different ideas also, I hate this cause mine even does it from 2nd to 3rd sometimes and definately 3rd to 4th, and if you rev it up with the clutch in or if its in neutral and rev the damn thing sticks. Ive had to shut down I dont know how many times. But for some reason if I shift slow and dont get it pass 6k rpm, sometimes Im fine. So it has to be mechanical. Keep me posted. We are in this together

Edit: here is the drill mod from install univ. I know you did it, but just going to post it for reference. http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Last edited by Smokin00WS6; 05-31-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 AM

yeah based on what you said it is exactly the same problem. do you have any mods? I have a few and am pushing almost 370 to the tires so I dont know if the clutch is to week or what but im gonna go with the recomendations Brad posted first. There is a post somewhere on the drill mod i saw it earlier Ill have to did it back up and read it again.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah based on what you said it is exactly the same problem. do you have any mods? I have a few and am pushing almost 370 to the tires so I dont know if the clutch is to week or what but im gonna go with the recomendations Brad posted first. There is a post somewhere on the drill mod i saw it earlier Ill have to did it back up and read it again.
the only mods I have are in my sig. Im maybe pushing around 330?? not sure never dynoed. Im going to work on mine this weekend. Ill have to stay in touch with you and see what ends up happining. You know, Im almost tempted to just say screw it and do new clutch, flywheel, master cy, and jsut call it a day.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:51 PM

i almost thought that to but im not sure that would fix the problem. i think im gonna do this drill mod thing first cause it seems to work for a lot of other people
Old 06-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

How is the fluid?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doski
How is the fluid?
Mine is good. First thing I thought about too. Im thinking about doing the drill mod and a whole flush. I just wish I had more time.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like I have the same problem as well. Clutch dropping to the floor and not letting me change gears. I never had this problem until I replaced my stock LS1 clutch/slave with a LS6 clutch/updated 02+ slave. I just replaced the master, drill mod, and wrapped the braided line yesterday and it still has the problem. I got fed up and bought a new GM slave and Textralia OZ700 clutch but I don't wanna install until I know what the issue is for sure.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
Sounds like I have the same problem as well. Clutch dropping to the floor and not letting me change gears. I never had this problem until I replaced my stock LS1 clutch/slave with a LS6 clutch/updated 02+ slave. I just replaced the master, drill mod, and wrapped the braided line yesterday and it still has the problem. I got fed up and bought a new GM slave and Textralia OZ700 clutch but I don't wanna install until I know what the issue is for sure.

Try it and tell us you can be our ginny pig!!! Im looking at doing the drill mod this weekend. I also am going to do a whole trans flush just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Try it and tell us you can be our ginny pig!!! Im looking at doing the drill mod this weekend. I also am going to do a whole trans flush just to be on the safe side.
Well I have tried about everything i can think of, so the Tex and new slave will be going in this weekend. I will let you know if it fixes the issue.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
Well I have tried about everything i can think of, so the Tex and new slave will be going in this weekend. I will let you know if it fixes the issue.
Sweet that sounds good. I just talked to a local camaro guy that is having the same issue, he is doing the drill mod this weekend. I wish this wasnt even a problem, its such a pain.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:48 PM
King of the radial tires

If the clutch fluid is not pristinely clear, that mean zero murkiness, then it is degraded from heat and the boiling point is reduced from the number on the can. Heat from launch and sequential high-rpm shift can bring the slave fluid above 400 degrees. Fresh fluid is OK at that temp. BUT...

If your pedal has the woes, get the fluid cleaned up. More detail: Taking Care of Your Clutch.

Ranger
Old 06-17-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the Textralia clutch, and slave was installed and problem is fixed. The problem was that the LS6 clutch was slipping at high RPM's and apparently boiling the fluid. I figured this because the fluid would always be black and murky. I would go through the process of flushing the fluid and bleeding the the air out and as soon as i did any high RPM runs while shifting the clutch would drop and the fluid was black again. Before I installed the clutch I tried DOT 4 fluid, wrapping the line, drill mod, and bleeding many times. What's weird is you couldn't tell that the clutch was slipping, but there were hot spots on the flywheel to prove my theory. On a side note, this Textralia with the X grip is smooth as silk, with no chatter or engagement issues....most certainly worth the money.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 AM
King of the radial tires

Hot spots on the flywheel result from launches at elevated rpm. I suspect, like most owners, you've done a few launches. Those spots (heat striations, really) have no impact on the effectiveness of the clutch.

If the clutch fluid quickly turns black, it's a sign you haven't changed it enough to rid the black goo that tends to build up at the slave, the lowest point in the system.

I have 500 passes with a normal clutch pedal, because I keep the clutch fluid fresh and clean. Doesn't take much effort once you get it clean. A lot less time per year to keep the clutch fluid clean that to keep the wheels clean.

Taking Care of Your Clutch

Ranger
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Please help!

I noticed you guys are pretty educated about clutch problems and wanted to ask you a question or questions I should say. I just bought a 2005 GTO manual trans in January it only had 3k miles on it for 24k so I think I got a pretty good deal. Anyway Im on 9k miles and just on the way home from work tonight my clutch started slipping in 2nd gear only second gear i can force it in gear but sure isnt natural . I looked in the slave and its murky and black and had some gooey looking stuff in it also. Im young only 23 and really not a mechanic just wondering what you think it is and what I should do.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 PM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by 2005GTO
I noticed you guys are pretty educated about clutch problems and wanted to ask you a question or questions I should say. I just bought a 2005 GTO manual trans in January it only had 3k miles on it for 24k so I think I got a pretty good deal. Anyway Im on 9k miles and just on the way home from work tonight my clutch started slipping in 2nd gear only second gear i can force it in gear but sure isnt natural . I looked in the slave and its murky and black and had some gooey looking stuff in it also. Im young only 23 and really not a mechanic just wondering what you think it is and what I should do.
Suggest you read this: Taking Care of Your Clutch

and follow the protocol exactly. Then post your results.

Ranger
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem last year. During a typical drag run, 1st to 2nd shift was ok, 2nd to 3rd very difficult, and couldn't go at all in 4th, with the clutch pedal stuck to the floor.

The drill mod helped a little, but the problem was still there.

After that, I had my slave cylinder swapped for a 2002 unit, and the hydraulic fluids were changed. That solved the problem entirely!

Quick Reply: Clutch problems please help