Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Opinions on Kore3 Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Opinions on Kore3 Brackets

Hey, I've been contemplating the thought of running the C5 Brake Kit. I've done my research into what would be required to run these bigger rotors. I've seen these Kore3 Brackets that people use and it looks too flimsy. They are 3/8" thick and made of steel. I feel as if UMI's are better quality. I don't know. What do you guys think?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

well, there's pluses and minuses to each one.

the Kore3 brackets are steel, so i would think that they would be just as strong as (or stronger than) aluminum, which is what the UMI's are made of.

however, they are probably also going to be a little heavier, and won't dissipate heat as quickly.....and the Kore3 ones are welded, where the UMI's are CNC machined from a solid block. and the UMI's have the extra "bar" that runs between the two raised boltholes, further strengthening those mounting points, something the Kore3's don't have.

then there's the cost....the Kore3's are under half the cost of the UMI's, but for that, you have to consider that the UMI's take longer to produce, and are powdercoated, unlike the Kore3's.....although you can paint the Kore3's easily enough, just a coat of primer and a coat or 3 of some enamel paint, and you're good to go.

i'm betting that you would not have any problems with either one of them.....so i'd say this:

if the bottom line is cost, the Kore3's win, hands-down.

i've never had experience with Kore3, but i have with UMI, and their service/products are top-notch, (and theirs already come powdercoated, saving you some time) so that may be worth the extra cost to you, and it may not.

personally, my intention is to go with UMI parts as much as possible for consistency....but you have the major factors listed above, use that to decide which will work best for you.....
Old 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Great post! Anyone else? What about EngineeredVelocity.com's brackets?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing the C6 Z06 swap and i'm going with the Kore3 brackets. I don't track my car at all. If I did, i'd be going with the UMI brackets. Neither one is a strength issue, but UMI's will be lighter and better at dissipating heat.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Launching!

I have Kore3's brackets for my C5 conversion and they are flawless. I called and spoke with Tobin about the differences between his brackets and the Bob Bishop brackets, and for my street application his 3 piece brackets were more than enough. The price and all the materials I received were of great quality. +1 for saving your money and gettings Kore3s brackets over the more expensive ones.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm. Thanks for the replies! It's just that when I saw a picture of the brackets, they looked really cheap, thin and flimsy. Anyone else have any experience with these brackets or engineeredvelocity.com's brackets?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Hmmm. Thanks for the replies! It's just that when I saw a picture of the brackets, they looked really cheap, thin and flimsy. Anyone else have any experience with these brackets or engineeredvelocity.com's brackets?
I'm curious as to why you think there would be a problem? If you really look at the design, it's very well thought out. You mentioned that it's only a 3/8th inch steel plate...but consider in which direction the primary forces will be acting on it. The thickness of the steel is made a non-issue by the design of the bracket. Furthermore, the main weakness of the brackets, the welds, are also taken out of the equation by the mounting bolts. Forces are transferred directly to the metal plate by the caliper mounting bolts. The cylinders that are welded to the plate will only bear a small percentage of the total force of a clamping caliper.

The engineeredvelocity brackets appear to be very heavy and being similiar in principle to the apparently lighter Kore3 brackets, have no obvious advantage. Kore3's design is great because it's cheap and not TOO heavy, UMI's brackets are great because they are strong and very light, despite being more expensive. Those who are looking for top of the line components for competition will be (and have been) well served by the UMI bracket, while the rest of us who want the best deal without sacrificing quality will love the Kore3 design.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Great post! Anyone else? What about EngineeredVelocity.com's brackets?
I got a C5 brake kit 4 my 73 Buick Century from Engineered Velocity.
I cannot say enough good things about them. Joe answered like 50 questions for me via email, and the product is well priced. If/when I upgrade the Z28's to C5s, Engineered Velocity will be my choice (again)!
Old 06-02-2007, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for the replies regarding our brackets.

The Kore3 brackets are going to be less expensive and it is because of the material being used. Our brackets are CNC machined from 2024 Aluminum. Just (1) block of aluminum to make (1) bracket (not a set) is $40.00, that means before even beginning production of the brackets we already have $80.00 invested into a set. Now on top of that we now have to saw the material to the correct length, machine it, inspect it and then powder coat. This is why our cost is much more, that also does not include any of our design time we have invested into them.

Now when you purchase our brackets what do you get? First is a quality product. Next is technical support, any questions during the installation we can be reached to help quide you through it. We do not only build the products, we design them, test them and install them all in our facility. This means you are talking with a tech rep who has completed installation many times and most likely runs them on there on vehicle. And lastly we are a LS1TECH sponsor, so by supporting us you are supporting this site who has given so much back to you free of charge. Please consider this as you make your decision.

Thank you,
Ryan

Quick Reply: Opinions on Kore3 Brackets