Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What fan for ls1 wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What electric fan boot can connect to ls1 elec fan relay?

do you absolutely, positively, need an electric fan from a 98-02 F-body for a ls1 swap? do the connectors on the harness fit later model tahoe/escalade/sierra fans that are equipped with Lq4's etc... or maybe even an lt1 fan???...without having to cut any wires? i know that ls6/lq4/ls1's have similar parts so i was wondering if i could use other electric fans besides the F-body ones? Thanks guys.

Last edited by deeloc1; 06-01-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Point one.. the LS1 / Fbody does not have a fan on the water pump and will require a Electric Fan setup.

If you are using different Fan from the LS1/FBody harness, you will have to check and change if different.

Any Fan that you can wire up with relays and be controlled by the PCM or exteral Fan Controller (Delta, SPAL, etc) will work. Many have used fans from almost any car if they can adapt mounts. It should be a big deal to change the pig tails of the harness to connect into different FAN connectors.

I am using Duel SPAL Fans with a SPAL Controller and not using the PCM to control my fans.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

The LS1 engine harness doesn't have connectors for the fans--it connects to a relay block that feeds the fans (and everything else). I used LS1 fans because they were cheap, work great, and easily modified to fit my radiator. I trust OEM electric fans a lot more than any aftermarket fan. Dual fans are nice if you copy the factory Fbody fan relay wiring to run them dual-speed (series vs parallel)--a lot quieter than a large single fan with only one speed.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=bczee]Point one.. the LS1 / Fbody does not have a fan on the water pump and will require a Electric Fan setup.

I never was talking bout a fan that bolts to the water pump...you must have misunderstood what i was asking...earlier this morning i was looking on ebay and they were selling dual fans ("ELECTRIC FANS"!) from a 2004 chevy tahoe and i was wondering if they could be ran/hooked-up to the relay of a f-body. i guess what i am really asking is did GM use the same boot for electric fans that connect to the relay from the lt1 camaro (since it is similar to body style of the ls1 f-body) or for GM trucks that have lq4's since they are similar engines...with the exception of iron blocks?? are the boots the same? can they hook right up to the relay?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rodder
The LS1 engine harness doesn't have connectors for the fans--it connects to a relay block that feeds the fans (and everything else). I used LS1 fans because they were cheap, work great, and easily modified to fit my radiator. I trust OEM electric fans a lot more than any aftermarket fan. Dual fans are nice if you copy the factory Fbody fan relay wiring to run them dual-speed (series vs parallel)--a lot quieter than a large single fan with only one speed.
Thanks man, i was just thinking about the possibilities of using different electric fans from similar body styles (lt1 camaro) or engines (lq4) that might have the same boot that the ls1 fan has, that hooks up to the relay. My plan is to use the f-body ls1 fan! but if i ran across something else before i actually found a 98-02 elec fans... would i be able to use them due to wither body similarities or engine similarities? That's all...it was just a thought...thanks again.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

No idea if the connectors are the same, but there's nothing special about electric fans. if your harness has the wrong connectors, cut them off and crimp or splices on new ones. I'm using standard generic spade connectors to connect to my LS1 Camaro fans. If you're getting fans from a junkyard, try to get the connectors and a couple of inches of wiring with them.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

This thread is great info for a question I lingering in the back of my mind.

I picked up a f@rd windstar fan for my 70' El Camino but unsure if I could use it or the smaller f-body fan.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want something that will pull a lot of air, get fans for a Dodge Intrepid. You can usually pick them up on ebay, dirt cheap, and they pull a LOT of air. If you need motor connectors for tham, you can get them at Rockauto.com.

Quick Reply: What fan for ls1 wiring harness?