Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help a NewB understand how to tune fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can anyone help a NewB understand how to tune fuel

Car is running on the rich side (wb reads 10.0 sometimes). I am new to tuning and would like some help on understanding what needs to be done to correct this. I am using HPTuners by the way.
I know (well I think its correct) if you go under "Fuel Enrich" then to "Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs. RPM" you divide stoich by the number you enter in this. ex. If you enter 1.250 your AFR would come out to 11.76.
Is this even the main place to tune fueling? If not what is the concept like I explained above to understand where your at when entering the numbers?

Any detailed info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Have a look at the stickies above for tuning docs. Go to the auto ve tutorial & it will set you straight.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PE table is for setting the desired AFR not the actual AFR. In other words, if you want your AFR at 11.5 and you have the correct values set in the PE table (about 1.27) but you are not getting 11.5 then you have a problem somewhere else. If you are in SD, then your VE table needs work. If you are running MAF then the MAF is off or both. If the AFR gage is bottoming out, it could be a bad sensor (though they usually peg lean).
Old 06-01-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Work on that part-throttle before the WOT stuff, like CobraKiller said. What does your PE table look like? If you haven't tweaked it, it's set pretty rich from the factory.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Well I had my car prof. tuned and he tuned it extra safe. He said its supposed to be around 11.5 but when I got it back out for the summer my wideband ( brand new just installed 2 weeks ago) shows it hits 10.0 when in full boost.
If someone will fill me in on how to post a log/tune, I could let you guys take a look at it. I tried earlier but its definatly not the same way you post pic's!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Use the forum option for an attachment, or use a popular site like www.filrefront.com to upload a file and then post the download link here.

You should set that PE table to what ever desired AFR you want, and then tune it via the MAF tables or the VE tables. Use the histogram options in your scanner to log AFR % Error and then multiply whatever table you are logging by the percent error in the histogram data. Before you begin, be sure to disable the LTFT and the STFT. And if you are doing the VE tables, be sure to set the MAF fail frequency to 0 to disable the MAF.