Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New brakes.... is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes.... is this normal?

Hey, Long time lurker here decided its time to join the fray, Just had installed a set of ws6store $169 rotors and some hawk ceramic pads. I picked it up and they said they had not "burned" them in, so I followed the instructions on the pad box to accomplish this. Problem is, my brakes feel almost soft, does it take a few miles for the pads and rotors to mate up and become fully effective? They shop owner stated they had to rebuild a caliper so does this require disconnecting the brake line which could of introdcued air into my system? also while driving slow and holding the brakes, "like getting ready to pull into a steep drive way" I can hear a dull sqeak, almost like a rubbing sound coming from the rear. Does it also take awhile for the pads to distance themselves when they are brand new?. Sorry for the dumb questions, I can handle alot of mechanical things but brakes have never been on the list, always been a bit intimidated by them. I will try to post of a pic later of the wear marks on the rears, they almost appear to be wearing only on the outside edges of the rotors and not the entire surface available. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bleed the brakes or get it done. That way you'll know if there is air in the system. It's easy to do.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:44 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper
Bleed the brakes or get it done. That way you'll know if there is air in the system. It's easy to do.
Since you mentioned this. I just finished installing my brakes; new rotors, pads, and SS lines. All I have left to do is bleed the brakes. When I cranked it the brakes light in the dash came on and won't turn off. I refered to my Chiltons manual and it said to have it towed somewhere with T100 or CAMS to diagnose it. I think it's just low on brake fluid. Is this just some mumbo jumbo or does that indicate that there is a serious problem?

Also it says to attach a hose to the back of the ABS module and bleed that first. What fitting is it refering to? Also I read on here that you don't need to bleed it unless you let the resevoire run completely empty.

Thanks.