Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 5.3L Throttle Control system delete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 5.3L Throttle Control system delete?

My 2002 5.3L has a system I am having a hard time finding information about. It has a cable pull throttle body but the cable is operated by an electronic motor assembly. Seems to be the first iteration of drive-by-wire. Does anyone know what I need to do to go about deleting this setup and going to a simple cable operation?

As far as I can tell so far, I may just delete the wires associated to the motor assembly, and the wires associated to the APP and that is all. Seems the TPS still has a link back to the PCM and thats all I should need. Anyone? Anything special when it comes to PCM reprogramming? May end up just purchasing LS1Edit and deleting VATS myself so I have the setup for future Dyno tuning runs.

Anyone had experience with this problem? Or know of a shop that has handled harness reworking on one of these setups? Hate to send out my harness only to get something back unusable.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

what you're talking about isn't a primative fly-by-wire, it's the cruise control modual...
Old 06-03-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing... sounds like the cruise control to me.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Haha, I had something that made me agree this was in fact a fly-by-wire system, but after just reinspecting, it simply is the cruise control motor. Don't I just feel like an idiot.

I knew it was cable operated when I bought the engine. Heck I got it for less than his original asking price because the guy thought he lost the Electronic pedal assembly, hahaha. Just something made me doubt it at some point... no longer know what that was.

Last edited by Sled; 06-03-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2002 5.3L Throttle Control system delete?