Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 or ls2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ls1 or ls2?

My engine in my rx-7 just blew, and I am going to be going the lsx route for sure. My question is, is the ls2 worth the extra money over the ls1? I have heard that the ls6 is not, but not much about the ls2. I realize they are not priced in the same group, with the ls2 being over 2x as much as a ls1. But I have plenty of time to save up some money as I have another car, and not all the funds to do it now. Basically what I am asking, is the ls2 worth the extra money and knowing that it is a low mileage engine?

If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it. I tried searching for a similar thing, but the search just brings up a blank page for me. Sorry if this has been answered before.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what you really need to ask yourself is are you happy with stock or not. becasue if you are going to be putting a cam in it or doing any mods as far as going into the motor I would not waste that money on the LS2. I would save it and put it into to a LS1.

I got a 01 LS1/T56 full pull for 3500 bucks I have put this into it.
Comp cam .589/.589 236/236 112LSA $300
Comp Push rods $80
Comp 918 springs $175
ARP rod, balencer, flywheel, pressure plate bolts $120
SLP DR timing chain $145
JTR headers $960
Spec stage III $430
Fadinza Alum flywheel $315
GM slave $60

I'm sure I have a few more things into it. I have just under 6K into my motor and trans, and I will be making 400RWHP. this is just a base to give you some info but I think if you went with a LS2 you would be wasting money if you are wanting to get it just for more HP. hope this helps, not sure if this is what you wanted to hear or not.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:46 AM
Teching In

I don't know what I want to hear. The thing is, I don't know how mod crazy I can go due to bein in CA. I want the car to be 100% smog legal, so when it is time to sell, I can do it easily. I know I can't put any worthwhile headers on, but I'm not sure about cams. That combined with the fact that the ls2 will have much much lower miles, the ls2 looks good. However, it will cost me around 8k. Also, I won't have all the money to do this for about another year, so I am thinking by the time I am ready ls1s will have that many more miles on them, AND the ls2 may drop in price due to the ls3. I don't know if that will happen, but thats what I would assume.

Am I correct in assuming the ls6 is not worth the extra money people want for them? Is it just different heads and intake (which seems like it gets changed out to a fast 90, whatever that is), or is it something a lot different? I'm new to the whole lsx series engines. I know they are excellent motors, but all the numbers just confuse me as to what actualyl IS the difference between them.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMO, FAST intake is not worth the money, unless you want to get top power numbers.

I'd do LS2 before doing FAST intake on a LS1

FWIW, I did LS1, then bought a low mile set of AFR heads, and a comp cam (I can't remember the spec - doh). Unfortunately I don't have room for long tubes in my application, so I stuck with the stock exhaust manifolds - which I guess are costing me about 30-40 hp.

If you get the later LS1's, they come with the LS6 intake manifold, and that's good enough.

The guy I bought the heads from had them on a LS1, AFR heads, LG long tubes and cam. He was putting down 440 at the wheels... then did the FAST intake, and went to 455 or something. I don't remember, but FAST is like $800 or something. If that's the case, I'm happier with $800 in my pocket than 15 HP at the wheel. Without the headers, and with a milder cam, I'm putting down 385 to the wheels. Since my car is just 1700 pounds, that's enough for me right now.

Having said all that, I'd love to have a 402 LS2, with a mild cam, decent heads. You can make the stock cube LS1 make the same power, but the torque curve won't be as nice, nor the sleeper factor.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93rx-7
...That combined with the fact that the ls2 will have much much lower miles, the ls2 looks good. However, it will cost me around 8k. Also, I won't have all the money to do this for about another year, so I am thinking by the time I am ready ls1s will have that many more miles on them, AND the ls2 may drop in price due to the ls3.
LS2's will keep going down in price over the next year so you might be able to afford one by then. What you may want to do (what I did) is come up with a budget first if you're going to be limited by funds. Subtract money for all the OTHER stuff you're going to need (driveshaft, cooling, fuel, mounting, etc) no matter which engine you choose. See how much money you have left after that then decide which engine(s) you can afford.

Originally Posted by 93rx-7
I'm new to the whole lsx series engines. I know they are excellent motors, but all the numbers just confuse me as to what actualyl IS the difference between them.
Read the stickies posted in the different sections of this forum. Start with the New LS1 owners/Newbie Tech or whatever it's called. After an hour or two of reading, you'll know a lot more about the Gen III's.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Well the thing is, I am just going to pay someone to do the work. That is going to cost $9,800 I supply the car and the motor. I would like to spend around 15k total, BUT I can spend more if the ls2 is worth the extra money. I'm not going for high hp, just a nice reliable fast car. I'd like it to have the hp to beat most cars, but I care much more about how the power is made.

I will read the stickies in the meantime, and go from there. What would you guys guess an ls2 would go for in about a year?

This is the shop I would take it to: shop.dynotested.com
Old 06-03-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want reliable, no fuss power, no rough idle, etc... stick with a stock LS2 -especially if you don't plan on doing your own work.