General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Penzoil Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penzoil Platinum

Anyone have thoughts on Penzoil Platinum Synthetic? I just changed my oil w/ this stuff.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just changed to this from mobil 1. Its been a few weeks but i like it.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

it is all i have been using for about 20,000 miles drivetrain is a bit noisy but i think that is just the LS1 motor...definatly a great oil
Old 06-03-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

I hate Pennzoil, there are way better oils out there
Old 06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

I use this oil as well...i use the 5w30. It is a very good oil. My friend uses this in his GTO also..and his last UOA with this oil was way better than any previous analysis he had with Mobil 1. Another huge benefit with this oil is that Advance Auto has the buy one get one sale..when you get it on that sale it comes out to like $2.89 per quart. Waldershrek...i would like for you to show me an oil that is way better than Pennzoil Platinum. Especially even relatively close to the same price.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
I use this oil as well...i use the 5w30. It is a very good oil. My friend uses this in his GTO also..and his last UOA with this oil was way better than any previous analysis he had with Mobil 1. Another huge benefit with this oil is that Advance Auto has the buy one get one sale..when you get it on that sale it comes out to like $2.89 per quart. Waldershrek...i would like for you to show me an oil that is way better than Pennzoil Platinum. Especially even relatively close to the same price.
If it's not on sale, then isn't it in the same price range as like, the other synthetics?

I'd like to see a UOA posted side by side with this stuff. In the past Pennzoil was looked at as garbage when compared to the other oils on the market. Maybe they bought out a smaller firm and are using the technologies purchased to change their image.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
If it's not on sale, then isn't it in the same price range as like, the other synthetics?

I'd like to see a UOA posted side by side with this stuff. In the past Pennzoil was looked at as garbage when compared to the other oils on the market. Maybe they bought out a smaller firm and are using the technologies purchased to change their image.
When its not on sale it is still a little cheaper than Mobil 1..and from the UOA I've seen it usually outperforms Mobil 1 and many other synthetics out there. I mean yea..you can spend like 8 bucks a quart for Amsoil and stuff, but I cant justify spending that much on oil that I'm gonna change out between 3-5K miles anyways..Especially when there are other good synthetics out there for cheaper. They didn't buy out a smaller firm, its actually the complete opposite. Shell, bought out Pennzoil/Quaker State..The Platinum is using a base oil/add pack that is developed by Shell...Check out Bobistheoilguy.com..you can spend a few hours there reading about oils..there is a ton of good information about motor oils there, and there are also dozens of UOA that you can read...there's even a few directly comparing the Pennzoil platinum to other motor oils.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
Waldershrek...i would like for you to show me an oil that is way better than Pennzoil Platinum. Especially even relatively close to the same price.
Mobil 1, Amzoil, Valvoline Syn Power are all better quality oils. Obviously they are a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. And besides, the price you listed for Pennzoil is when it's on sale, otherwise it's basically the same price as the others.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I picked up a 5 quart jug from wal-mart for $20 bucks. And mobile 1 was $29.xx. So it is cheaper. But i am using a mobile 1 oil filter.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Mobil 1, Amzoil, Valvoline Syn Power are all better quality oils. Obviously they are a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. And besides, the price you listed for Pennzoil is when it's on sale, otherwise it's basically the same price as the others.
Yea if you say so...Your also the guy who didnt know what german castrol was until like yesterday or something..so no offense, but umm you don't exactly seem up to date when it comes to motor oils. I'm not saying any of those oils that you listed are bad, or not worth the price...but i've seen many used oil analysis that show the pennzoil out performing Mobil 1...Times have changed...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah well nobody carries the stuff here in NY and of all the other vehicle forums I've been to I've never seen it come up so I guess I'm not the only one. As far as these oil analysis studies go that just depends on who does them whether this kind is better than another kind. In case you're not aware, M1 is used and recommended specifically from the factory on Corvettes, Vipers, BMW's, Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo's as well as used exclusively in Nascar and other racing series so they must be doing something right.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah well nobody carries the stuff here in NY and of all the other vehicle forums I've been to I've never seen it come up so I guess I'm not the only one. As far as these oil analysis studies go that just depends on who does them whether this kind is better than another kind. In case you're not aware, M1 is used and recommended specifically from the factory on Corvettes, Vipers, BMW's, Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo's as well as used exclusively in Nascar and other racing series so they must be doing something right.

If you haven't used it or been to sites that talked about it, does that make it worthless? I think not.

You're half right on the oil analysis. Specific numbers depend on who does it. But you look for extremes and trends, which don't depend on who is doing them. It's up to you as a consumer to find a good quality analyzer and use them.

Who ISN"T aware that M1 is in bed with all those manufacturers? So what? Does that make them the best oil in the world? Not hardly.

waldershrek, you are currently uninformed. Visit this site and read up on Pennzoil Platinum. Everybody else is welcomed to as well. You'll learn much if you are able to leave your preconceived notions at the door.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Just for the record..BMW uses Castrol from the factory, and Ferrari uses Shell....not Mobil 1. But it really doesent matter....