Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Wheel hop......

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel hop......

I have researched a few things for wheel hop in a 1999 C5 Corvette. Which I have lowered. And QA-1's with a coil over kit FSD's which I know nothing about, seem to be some of the remedies for it.....

Basically I have also been doing research on wheel hop for my 2000 SCSB Silverado with a 4-bar set up and everything that I have researched points to axel wrap. Which in turn makes me think that it would be control arm bushings or shocks.

Both vehicals have wheel hop in any conditions (rain or dry pavement). I think that I have the truck wheel hop figured out but, have not tested yet. Haven't tested anything on the vette yet.....

Any further information on the QA-1 shocks and coil over kit, FSD's, or other shocks would be much appreciated....
Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

get some good sticky tires for the vette and WH goes away. Also, if you are getting WH, LET OUT OT THE GO FAST PEDAL!!!! You will destroy more than you want to repair.

Last edited by TXZ0603; 06-04-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nittos 555 DRs helped out my wheel hop more then anything
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

I had wheel hop on my 99 M6 also but I changed my 275 eagle f1's out for some michelin 295 and is it a big difference...no more wheel hop
Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep, stickier tire pretty much does it. Went with nitto drag radials, no more Wheel Hop. Like TXZ0603 said, you get wheel hop, let off the gas. I have seen on this board and a few other ones what can happen. Believe me you don't want to a buy a whole new rear end for the car.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Like everyone else has already said, sticker tire like the Nitto DR or BFG DR will do the trick. Then again, it all depends on how much power you're making too.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xrevx1
I have researched a few things for wheel hop in a 1999 C5 Corvette. Which I have lowered. And QA-1's with a coil over kit FSD's which I know nothing about, seem to be some of the remedies for it.....

Basically I have also been doing research on wheel hop for my 2000 SCSB Silverado with a 4-bar set up and everything that I have researched points to axel wrap. Which in turn makes me think that it would be control arm bushings or shocks.

Both vehicals have wheel hop in any conditions (rain or dry pavement). I think that I have the truck wheel hop figured out but, have not tested yet. Haven't tested anything on the vette yet.....

Any further information on the QA-1 shocks and coil over kit, FSD's, or other shocks would be much appreciated....

Rarely do I ever have a drag radial on the car( I don't like the lack of stability at higher speeds). I have a 00 hardtop...nothing trick. I run a coilover setup, from DRM,...doug rippe motorsports. They are a company, that lets just say, know there **** when it comes to the chassis on a Y body. LG motorsports, as well, has similar setups. Anyhow, mine are not valved for "drag racing" so, there nothing different, or "special". However, In any condition I have run my car in, regarding RWHP output, I have never expierenced wheel hop. In any launch condition... In a C6, I have. Until we put a set of coilovers on it. However, at the same time, we did dramatic wheel size increase on that car.

Shift fast....generate SOME wheel spin...maybe a few feets worth...continue.

Coilovers are the ticket man. Makes working on the car easier as well.

peace.

oh,...and my car is not intended for drag racing. It has to be well rounded.

Last edited by V-seriesTech; 06-06-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

My personal experience with wheel hop on my cars has shown that changing any number of things... suspension, tires, launch style... can introduce or eliminate wheel hop. I have Pfadt coilovers and regular street radials on my car now and have zero wheel hop issues on the street or at the track. When I had my stock suspension though, wheel hop was a huge issue.

In the past on another car I just swapped to drag radials and the problem went away. I could make it come back though if I launched less aggressively than I usually would.

As a precaution, I did install a DTE brace on my diff/tranny.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

I just wanted to say thanks to all that replied. I will try a few things and repost. I do not think that trying drag radials cure wheel hop. If you are telling me that you completely hook and that you have no tire spin, obviously that would cure wheel hop. 95% of the time this car is street driven and some times at high speeds in all weather conditions. I am not looking to just hook and go that is not my complete option. The tires will break loose at some point, I just don't want the wheel hop.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

Actually, drag radials can in fact sometimes get you out of that "wheel hop zone". Remember, wheel hop is a combination of oscillation in the suspension and traction, then lack of traction, then traction, and lack of traction (ad nauseum).

If you make the car bite less (spin more off the line) or bite more (better traction) you might eliminate the issue. I mean this constructively... but everyone in this thread who has had and cured the issue has mentioned that different tires or drag radials can cure the issue... so I wouldn't be so quick to state that you don't think that it will work, if that's what you were trying to say

Do you have a buddy who could lend you a set of rear DRs? That would be a low cost, low effort way to try and see if it cures your issue. It may not. Then again, it may.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

I completely agree with the fact that drag radials will give you enough traction to get rid of wheel hop. As you stated previous you could make the wheel hop come back if you launched less aggresively than you usually would. In a sense the wheel hop is still an issue....I could definately make the wheel hop disapate by giving less gas when it starts to wheel hop.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

On my former 2001 Z06 I used to get wheel hop on the 1-2 shift a lot....this is at the track.I switched to drag radials and I never had wheel hop again.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:32 PM
King of the radial tires

A couple small points.

One of the key reasons that DRs don't hop is the psi is generally around 18 or so, giving a lot of cushion to the shock of launch and the shifts.

I set my stock tires to 25 hot and they don't give hop either.

A lot of hop-avoidance on a stock Corvettes involves the simple action of the driver learning to squeeze the throttle rather than hammering it in one motion. That applies to 1-2 post-shift throttle too.

Ranger
Old 06-13-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I slapped on some 315 BFGs and no more wheel hop. I can blow them off at my power but they flat spin instead of hopping because they're so soft. Thanks to them I'm still on the stock rear end with no probs.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop......