Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Weird! '99 WS6 with non-RA lower air box

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weird! '99 WS6 with non-RA lower air box

I never noticed it before, but this weekend a couple of my more observant buddies pointed out that my 1999 Formula WS6 is equipped with the base-model, non-raised lower air box. Does anyone else with a '98-'00 WS6 have this airbox installed from the factory? Mine is a mid-year build, it was built sometime in late December, and was modified by ASC on January 17th 1999.

I know for certain that my car is a factory WS6 car, and although I purchased it used when it was 4 years old, it had fairly low mileage and appeared completely as-built with no history of any accidents or repairs. All other WS6 equipment appears to be intact and correct, except for one other oddity, which I attributed to the fact that it was an earlier LS1 WS6 model: the factory air lid itself did not have the "Pontiac Ram Air" sticker on it, instead it just had the coolant fill procedure etc. sticker on it.

Anyone have any ideas about this?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id say not a true ws6 unless it does have the rpo code ws6
Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 would be highly surprised if it was indeed a real WS6
Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's never a smart move to make the claim on have something by things that are easily duplicated. RPO sheet can be duped, but it's not easy. I thought mine was WS6, but I still was going by my RPO sheet. Only problem was mine was a bit scratched, turned out to be W56 :\

If anything leads you to doubt something on your car, always goto the 2 things that can easily confirm it. Your RPO sheet and your VIN#. If that doesn't answer it, then ask around
Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe I didn't explain clearly... I KNOW it's a WS6 car. That's not in question. In addition to the WS6 (NOT W56, whatever that is) RPO code on the door, I have CONFIRMED WITH ASC that the VIN is an authentic WS6. As I said, I am certain that it's a factory WS6 car. I said this because I'm certain that it's a factory WS6 car. Thanks for your help so far, please no further speculation that it's not an authentic WS6.

The ONLY issue in question is the fact that my car appears to have come with the wrong airbox assembly. I'm trying to figure out why I might have the wrong airbox, if it may have gotten switched at some point, or if my car was built during one of the known times when WS6s were built with base car air boxes. I'm told that at some point, this was definitely the case, as there was a clearance problem with the raised airboxes and the Ram Air hoods. I'm curious to see if anyone has further details about this, when it happened, etc. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

probably the dumbass that owned it before you tried either to modify it(and f$cked it up real bad)or modify it for nitrous and then didn't think he could sale it or lose value when he traded it in?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
probably the dumbass that owned it before you tried either to modify it(and f$cked it up real bad)or modify it for nitrous and then didn't think he could sale it or lose value when he traded it in?
Since you know it really is a WS6, that is my assumption as well. Either that or it was a Monday car and someone oopsed
Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'm with the others on this.
It was probably swapped at some time, maybe by a porter at the dealer who wanted a WS6 airbox for himself or a friend.
It is an easy fix to just purchase a raised air box and a R/A decal from the dealer.
The factory lids are all the same doesn't matter what car it was on.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, probably had a lid on it before, guy sold the lid with the lower airbox or traded it with a buddy for the lower box and stock lid sticker
Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Launching!

If you could prove it to be the factory equipped air box, then you would have a WS6 1 of 1 because of the non RA air box. That car will be worth a lot of money in thirty years. I'd stop driving it now.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:39 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Intragration
Maybe I didn't explain clearly... I KNOW it's a WS6 car. That's not in question. In addition to the WS6 (NOT W56, whatever that is) RPO code on the door, I have CONFIRMED WITH ASC that the VIN is an authentic WS6. As I said, I am certain that it's a factory WS6 car. I said this because I'm certain that it's a factory WS6 car. Thanks for your help so far, please no further speculation that it's not an authentic WS6.
First of all, calm down a little there buddy. We only comment on the WS6 authenticity because that is easily duplicated, and more often than not very poorly.

Post pics of the car, the hood & the air box.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

How did you verify that there was no accidents in it's history, Carfax?? If so, DON'T TRUST IT. I ran a Carfax on my T/A that I purchased new off the showroom floor two years AFTER it was in an accident AND repaired by a Pontiac dealership AND re-imbursed by my insurance company and Carfax showed NO accidents in its history.

It sounds like either the previous owner was an idiot who traded / swapped the original raised lower airbox & "ram air" lid (only difference is the decal), OR the car was in an accident and the front end was repaired w/ non-WS6 parts (lid and lower airbox).

The ONLY issue in question is the fact that my car appears to have come with the wrong airbox assembly. I'm trying to figure out why I might have the wrong airbox, if it may have gotten switched at some point, or if my car was built during one of the known times when WS6s were built with base car air boxes. I'm told that at some point, this was definitely the case, as there was a clearance problem with the raised airboxes and the Ram Air hoods. I'm curious to see if anyone has further details about this, when it happened, etc. Thank you.
This would be the first time I've heard about this, and I believe this to be a weak attempt at explaining your car's "unique features". Starting in MY '98 (~July '97 actually), ALL WS6 cars were converted by ASC, who painted & installed the hoods, installed the raised lower airbox, placed the "ram air" decal on the lid, and attached the WS6 badge to the rear bumper. So the liklihood of your car being "built from the factory as a WS6 without the correct lower airbox/lid" due to it being an early '99 is pretty remote.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 06-08-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
If you could prove it to be the factory equipped air box, then you would have a WS6 1 of 1 because of the non RA air box. That car will be worth a lot of money in thirty years. I'd stop driving it now.
That was a joke right? You know, sometimes sarcasm doesn't transmit well over the Internet.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all WS6 cars got WS6 airboxes.

Mine, is a 98, build #370 and it has the proper WS6 box.

My guess it somebody swapped at somepoint in the past, either for cash, or the dealer tech needed one. The airbox lid should have had the ramair stocker as well, this sounds like the whole assembly was swapped, not just the bottom airbox.

Ryan
Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
First of all, calm down a little there buddy. We only comment on the WS6 authenticity because that is easily duplicated, and more often than not very poorly. Post pics of the car, the hood & the air box.
I wasn't trying to have my car authenticated as a WS6 by the original post, only trying to find out about factory WS6 cars that may have come without a RA airbox.

Originally Posted by slow
all WS6 cars got WS6 airboxes.

Mine, is a 98, build #370 and it has the proper WS6 box.

My guess it somebody swapped at somepoint in the past, either for cash, or the dealer tech needed one. The airbox lid should have had the ramair stocker as well, this sounds like the whole assembly was swapped, not just the bottom airbox.
I tend to agree with the second part of this, because yes, the lid was wrong too. I'll check and see if there's any kind of date code on it, that would be helpful. I have also heard though that some WS6s had clearance problems with the hoods and airboxes, leading to at least some coming with the incorrect piece.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Intragration
I have also heard though that some WS6s had clearance problems with the hoods and airboxes, leading to at least some coming with the incorrect piece.
WHO did you hear this from? Not saying it's not possible, but I've been on the LS1.com board since 9/98 and have NEVER heard this story before. I'd think if that was an issue and guys were getting new WS6s without the raised airbox (which was a well know WS6 unique thing even back then), there'd have been ALOT of complaining going on. If this IS true, like you, I'd be highly interested in learning more about it.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
WHO did you hear this from? Not saying it's not possible, but I've been on the LS1.com board since 9/98 and have NEVER heard this story before. I'd think if that was an issue and guys were getting new WS6s without the raised airbox (which was a well know WS6 unique thing even back then), there'd have been ALOT of complaining going on. If this IS true, like you, I'd be highly interested in learning more about it.
I'm not naming names, but I'll say he's pretty knowledgable on the subject. I'll ask him for more details, maybe it was an early-run thing...? It may have been conjecture too, who knows. It's such a strange thing, you're absolutely right, that's why I'm curious.

I'm sure there have been stranger production variances than a car getting the wrong airbox... (i.e. 440+6 Fury station wagons in the '70s ha ha) It IS a Formula, someone could have inadvertently figured it wasn't a WS6 based on that. In this case though, I'm starting to believe that someone must have switched it after-the-fact. No date codes on the box or lid that I bought the car with, so no answers there...
Old 06-10-2007, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

just put a lid on it...
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that thing was sprayed, heavily in it's past life, probably a former 10 sec car.
That could also explain the hood shocks leaking and the cracked battery...?
J/K Mike, don't freak out!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

I would check with other WS6 Formula owners. it is no secret that the T/A WS6s came with the raised airbox, but does that include Formulas?? Just wondering- they may have kept it with the lower box due to trying to set it apart from the T/A versions. Just throwing it out there.

Quick Reply: Weird! '99 WS6 with non-RA lower air box