Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rack and pinion issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rack and pinion issues

Ok I have a 2001 z28 all stock nothing special. The Rack and pinion went out and I got 1 from auto zone now turning to the left I can make a u turn in a shoe box if needed but turning to the right I need a whole damn parking lot. I made sure the rack and pinion was centered before install and the steering wheel was locked in place with the seat belt. Auto zone says there is 2 rack and pinions for my car I have to know what kind of suspension I have well I have no clue. does anyone have any idea how to tell what kind of suspension is under a 2001 z28?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are two different LS1 racks, but I have never found how to tell them apart, besides bolting them up and seeing how many turns it takes to get from lock to lock. Supposedly, the angle of the nub on the rack that hooks up to the coupler is different between the two. Some people encounter this when they are installing long tubes.

I have looked at parts catalogs to see how they classify the racks, and one is an FE1 but I do not remember the other offhand. Something about "heavy duty suspension" perhaps. If the rack you replaced was the one that came with the car, then you should be able to take the RPO code on your door, figure out which suspension group(s) it came with and then get the rack that corresponds to that. There should be a link to all RPO codes on this site somewhere as well. I do not recall all of the suspension codes that could involve a rack option offhand either, sorry.

I could never do that because I was replacing a rack I knew did not come on the car with another that did not come on the car. There was one guy that asked this question in a different way once before and he did some research but never came up with a definative answer...I posted in that as well; try and find that and see if you can work with it.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The option for the heavy duty suspension (FE4 maybe?) is not the correct rack for Z28s. That was the V6 one and was actually worse than the non-FE4 rack. More turns lock-to-lock and the steering wheel should be off by 90* I believe.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

well mine hasnt gone out yet but it sure clicks like hell every time i turn sence i got the car... any ideas?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

any ideas?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:27 AM
TECH Regular

Just did mine 2 Mo. ago got the wrong one on the first try, on the HD unit the input shaft enters the rack at a more upright angle than than the regular Z28 unit.the HD unit will mount up but the linkage will hit the exhaust manifold once its all together. other than that its a pretty simple fix I changed mine over to sythetic trans fluid it works great and do yourself a favor and install the rack mounting bolts nut side up- I had to sawzall the bolt under the oil pan.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Duron you are right about the v6/lt1 rack being off and slower ratio. I just do not remember what the codes are for the T/A racks.

Is the rack leaking from the big nut on the front or anything like that?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Just get a rack for a Z28 then, should be the same as a T/A.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's right, Z28 and TransAm racks are the same.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

still, can anyone explain my clicking?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:49 AM
Teching In

see that is the same thing it is rubbing against the silver manifold cover and the air bag light stays on I am calling autozone in the morning thanx alot
Old 06-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
still, can anyone explain my clicking?
you have clicking when you turn check your wheel bearings the first to go on me was the passenger it clicked when I turned left( if you get them from autozone you cant buy the bearings by themselfs it is all one unit