General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default coolant problem

Ok so this is my problem:
The coolant keeps boiling out of my reservoir. I changed the thermostat, (160 deg), The ECU is tuned so the fans come on at 160 but I still am loosing coolant. This has me worried because I dont want to go on any long trips and find the coolant has boiled out expecially during the summer!
Any help would be appreciated
thanks
Jay
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air is getting into the system. Its not your radiator cap, its not your fans, its not something blocking the A/C condensor. That stuff just causes your engine to overheat, even into the red on the guage. The boiling over of coolant is AIR in the system. I've lost a serpentine belt and was doing 130mph on the highway, my temp guage was in the red, and no part of the engine bay could be touched, not the strut tower brace, not the intake, not the air lid, not the strut towers, everything would have burned your skin badly. And my coolant was doing nothing, it was silent. I let it cool down and drove it where I could park it to get a new belt.

Boiling of coolant is AIR getting in. Its a pressure issue, being a sealed system raises its internal pressure, which raises the boiling point. If air gets in the boiling point comes down and it can than boil over.

So, do this..................

Take your radiator cap off when the engine is cool. Top it off with water/coolant.

Start the engine.

Stand there and wait for your t-stat to open so you can visually see the coolant level go down and start to flow. ((((I would also have a buddy sit in the car and watch the temp guage just in case your t-stat doesn't open and you're standing there while your engine is overheating.)))) When I'm alone I just walk back and forth constantly until my t-stat opens.

Top it off with water/coolant for two cycles. Let the t-stat close after you topped it off once and than wait for it to re-open and start to flow again, than top it off again. Put the cap back on. (you have now removed all the air from the system, there is no mysterious magical air bubble in the system now like people think can happen)*****Note*****The t-stat may not close after the first time, if it doesn't stop flowing just let it flow for a couple minutes while you stand there, if the level stays the same put the cap on and you're done.

THATS IT.

Now, what I would do is let it sit and idle for 20 minutes. See if anything happens. If nothing happens take it for a spirited drive and watch the temp.

If it boils over again you "almost" positively have a blown head gasket. Or maybe a cracked head or block. I would lean towards head gasket because if the block or head cracks the water/coolant will come out, air won't go in against 18psi of pressure. A blown head gasket, depending on which part of it blew, can certainly get air pushed into the system when the piston is on the up-stroke.

Than go get a coolant pressure check to see if the water/coolant leaks out anywhere. You need/should take your spark plugs out in case a cylinder(s) fills with water/coolant. If it does and you start the engine you could damage the entire engine. If there's no exterior leaks, check the oil to see if water/coolant leaked into it.

Finding engine over-heating problems is easier than most think.

Report back with your findings.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Launching!

WOW Quickin,
that was a hell of an answer! Thanks I'll get on it right away
Thank You
jay
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
WOW Quickin,
that was a hell of an answer! Thanks I'll get on it right away
Thank You
jay
Sure man. I chased an over heating problem for 3-4 months, did everything under the sun to track it dowm with zero success. Than I found my problem (which was a hilarious over heating reason) by accident. It was one of those things that hundreds of people on here and a dozen or more techs at different dealerships had no clue about, or just didn't think to mension/check.

So if I can help someone with an annoying over heating problem...sweet.

Last edited by Quickin; 06-05-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Ok I think it worked the temp gauge went to a high of about 210, I let the car idle for about 30 minutes. It took a while to cycle. I refilled it and went for a drive and its lower than 210 now so I guess its working. Hasn't over heated yet!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
Ok I think it worked the temp gauge went to a high of about 210, I let the car idle for about 30 minutes. It took a while to cycle. I refilled it and went for a drive and its lower than 210 now so I guess its working. Hasn't over heated yet!
Hope it worked for ya

Check the level tomorrow while its totally cold. If its good you're probably all set. Keep checking over the next week and see if the level goes down slowly. You can probably rule out the blown head gasket after a week or so of driving.