Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porter Cable Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porter Cable Help

ok first off i have never used a Porter cable before..so where can i find some tips on how to use it and what pads/polishes to use..

also if i use the zaino polish and stuff after i PC my car would i still need to wax after using the zaino polish and sealant stuff?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the email I got from Steve at tropicare. He rocks. Very helpful guy. Im just going to paste it.

"Thank you for taking the opportunity to use our Tropi-Care products again or for the first time, we have prepared the following tips and guidelines to get the best results out of these products. Don't hesitate to ask questions about our products or procedures. Check out our Tropi-Care specific forum located at www.tropi-care.com/forum/.

Hand applications: Starting with the supplied blue foam polish applicator, we have used the back and forth stroke method of application to minimize wasted motions on the paint surface. First, wet down the applicator with distilled water (tap water OK too) and squeeze out excess moisture. Using the moist foam polish applicator, this helps the product to spread easily across the surface. A rule of thumb for hand application is a dime-sized portion of product is enough to cover an area the size of a quarter panel. To determine time for removal, lightly wipe your finger across the surface. If it wipes off clean without smearing, you’re ready to remove the residue. By hand, using our TC-M4 microfiber polishing towels make for near effortless removal. PC users may remove the residue by applying the gray microfiber polishing bonnets over top of the orange foam buffing pad.

If we are doing a vehicle for the first time, we will also clay bar the vehicle especially the top surfaces to remove any contaminants including old wax. The TC-3 Polish/Sealant xP works best on clean wax-FREE surfaces. Removal of any prior waxes/glazes is necessary in order for the TC-3 to spread and bond properly. The TC-3 will not remove or fill in any ultra-fine scratches or swirl marks. These blemishes would need to be addressed with products such as our TC-8 Swirl Cutter prior to this application. Be careful to vent the TC-3 cap first prior to the opening 2 ounce sample size bottle prior to use as it’s contents may pressurize resulting in accidental discharge.

If you are using the optional TC-8 Swirl Cutter, this micro-abrasive product can be used by hand. Its best performance can be experienced with the use of a PC equipped with the orange “light cutting/heavy polishing” foam buffing pad. Starting at speed 4 and working up to speed 5-6 on the dial and moving at a rate of 1”/second, you shall see real improvement in the condition of the surface. Once you are satisfied with the results, you shall be ready to move onto sealant or wax.

Determining surface coverage with the product can be difficult at times; this can especially true on applications to light colored vehicles such as white, silver, or yellow. I will usually look for the faint developing haze as the product dries. I can then hit any areas that appear to be missed.

See attached photo: Here is an application of the TC-3 with the Porter Cable buffer equipped with the same grade Lake Country Mfg. blue "final finishing" buffing pad. For us, this method is much quicker and efficient while using less product. You will achieve greater surface area coverage as compared to hand application. Notice the concentric orbital application circles as the product dried on the surface. Remember a thin layer is all this is necessary for effective treatment. It is a matter a personal preference as to the number of applications that is right for you. If your vehicle doesn’t have the gloss or slickness you have become accustomed to seeing and feeling, it is just as easy to reapply to a clean surface as you desire to maintain that appearance. TC-3 Polish/Sealant xP: One product, no guess work.

For routine maintenance, we recommend the TC-6 Car Wash concentrate. Several capfuls per gallon provide abundant suds and lubricity to safely clean the surface without stripping paint protection. Regarding the inherent nature of the TC-3 sealant protection, you will notice how water sheets off the surface during the wash/rinse process. However, you’ll notice water beading on the surface when it rains. Also take note of the minimal water spotting on top surfaces of the vehicle when it dries after recent rain events. These are also characteristics of the Tropi-Care system. After the washing and drying procedure, we usually will follow up with the detail spray to develop the anti-static property to reduce dust attraction and leave a clean and clear reflection. Be sure to any remove sprayer prevention clips (prevents accidental spraying during shipping) prior to use.

Our products are also available in cost effective gallon sizes for the heavy user or detailer. We look forward to hearing from you again. Feel free to contact us with any questions.

Regards,

Tropi-Care Car Care Products

Steve Pasztor

www.tropi-care.com

(972)-743-9443

Toll-Free (866)-341-0050"
Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

here is another one.. and then ill post the final one.. all from steve

"No need to apologize for your questions. That’s why we’re here to help you understand the characteristics of the products you interested in using.

TC-3 is our durable water-based paint sealant. It is longer lasting than the TC-2 wax and provides for crystal clear protection. It can be a stand alone product and layered to maintain constant durability.

The TC-2 wax can also be used a stand alone product or it can be layered over top of the TC-3 sealant as an extra measure of protection to the sealant. Excellent for use on darker colors, it helps to create additional depth. To get the best finish on metallic, we suggest the TC-3.

After using the TC-1 Clay Bar, assess your paint surface for the next round of treatment. You can use the TC-8 Swirl Cutter on the orange foam pad with the PC as needed for removal of the ultra fine lines from repetitive washing and drying. After you’re satisfied with the TC-8 performance, you can apply the TC-3 with the blue foam pad on the PC. Use the TC-5 Detail Spray for removing any light product residue after using the gray polishing bonnets on the PC to remove the TC-3 sealant from the surface. The TC-5 can be used any time to remove light dust and dirt from the surface while providing an anti-static surface resulting in less dust attraction.

The TC-3 can be layered on each other or TC-2 over the TC-3. Typically we don’t layer the TC-3 over the TC-2 due to potential streaking issues. If you’re looking for longer term results, I would continue with the TC-3 applications. If I ‘m looking for dramatic presentation for a car show on darker colors, I would apply a layer of the TC-2 wax.

Don’t hesitate to contact me anytime either here or on our toll-free line.

Regards,

Steve Pasztor

www.tropi-care.com

(972)-743-9443

Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Last one, Hope these help you out. Id say contact steve for any further questions if you got them from him Im not sure if zaino has directions ontheir site or not but im sur eyou can contact them to ask maybe.

"The TCPC-10 kit now includes the blue final finishing foam pad for application of the last step products. The blue is and softer than the black and excess product does not get absorbed into the pad.

In addition, the gray microfiber polishing bonnets are placed over top of the orange pad for residue removal as you assumed.

Feel free to contact us with any other questions.

Regards,

Steve Pasztor

www.tropi-care.com

(972)-743-9443

Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

These are the tips we send out with each PC kit.

Tropi-Care Car Care Products recommends the following techniques, tips and safety precautions when using the Porter Cable buffer and its accessories.

(1) Always turn the buffer on and off with the pad resting on the surface, this will prevent the foam pad from flying off, and product from slinging.

(2) DO NOT place un-needed pressure on the machine while working. Let the machine do its job. If you are not getting the results you desire, change your technique by adjusting the speed setting or shift to a different grade of foam pad or a more appropriate chemical.

(3) Be sure to get the foam pad wet prior to use, and periodically re-wet the pad during use; this will help to spread the product evenly, and keep the pad from loading up.

(4) Try to keep the buffer flat and level during use, you want as much of the pad in contact with the surface as possible. Try to avoid using the edge of the pad, or tilting the machine at extreme angles to reach a tight area.

(5) Periodically check the backing plate for wear or damage. Remove the backing plate completely and check for any signs of wear. Do not over tighten the backing plate when attaching it to the buffer, and be sure to use the washer supplied with the buffer.

(6) When working with a product like the Swirl Cutter, with the machine on setting #5 to 6, work in a slow and smooth motion; this will allow the buffer, foam pad and products to do their job. Use only enough product for the area, work the product till it disappears or only a small amount of product is left, this may take several passes with the buffer in order for the product to work properly.

(7) When applying TC-3xp Polish, a thin coat of polish is all you need, if you see the polish is too thick, make another pass over the area with the buffer. Make sure you allow the polish time to cure properly, or you are wasting time and product. The proper speed setting to apply polish is #4.

(8) When the polish has cured and you are ready to remove it, use a clean microfiber bonnet over a Orange or Yellow Foam pad. Set the buffer on #5 and work in a smooth motion over each panel till all is removed. It may take several passes over the same area to remove the excess polish and reach the desired depth, gloss and clarity. If there is polish in a hard to reach area, don’t force the buffer to try and remove it, come back later with a microfiber towel and touch up the areas that the buffer couldn’t reach.

(9) The Porter Cable buffer is a tough and solid piece of equipment, but don’t abuse it either. Try to keep from dropping it, and when storing the unit, it should be set upside down, with the backing plate up. Do not let it rest on its side with the backing plate acting as a support; this could cause the plate to warp.

(10) Try to keep the buffer clean, wipe it down with a dry towel after each use, this will ensure its peak performance for years to come.

Just a few basic tips, if you have a specific question about the proper use of the Porter Cable buffer, any of its accessories, or any Tropi-Care products please don’t hesitate to contact Tropi-Care
Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Launching!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx
Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

haha thanks for posting those. I wasnt about to type it out myself Hoped the email pastes would have sufficed somewhat

All I can say is that Im very pleased with you guys customer service As long as you guys are in business you will be getting mine
Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these still on sale from tropi care? If so, can someone give me the link
Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

www.Tropi-Care.com

chuckles.

Just look up the porter cable 7424 and accessories on the left
Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Are these still on sale from tropi care? If so, can someone give me the link
The PC kit is still on special at Tropi-Care. Best tool you will EVER buy!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Good info. Just ordered my Porter cable today!