Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to Access Firewall Grommet

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to Access Firewall Grommet

Hey everyone. Im trying to run the wire for my wideband out through the firewall to get to the exhaust. I know that there is a grommet behind the pcm on the pass side, but Im not sure how to access it from the inside. Can anyone tell me what interior panles need to be removed to get to it? Pics woudl help out a lot too if anyone has them.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

You gotta take everything out but the dash

J/k Just the kick panel on the passenger side, you can see wires in the above photo, its around there somewhere pretty far up..
Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Just the kick panel on the passenger side, you can see wires in the above photo, its around there somewhere pretty far up..
True story. Just did it a few days ago. Getting the PCM back in was kinda a bitch though...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best way is to do what Spuds said removing the kick panel and the panel under the glove box. The one under the glove box is actually held in by 3 push pins that spread out with the middle pushed in. Needle nose pliers work well for grabbing the center and pulling them out. After that it just pops/falls out. I would actually work my way backwards to get through the grommet though. Put an electricians fish tape or a coat hanger, being careful of the other wiring of course, through from the engine bay side and then find it on the interior side. It was easier for me to do it that way.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Best way is to do what Spuds said removing the kick panel and the panel under the glove box. The one under the glove box is actually held in by 3 push pins that spread out with the middle pushed in. Needle nose pliers work well for grabbing the center and pulling them out. After that it just pops/falls out. I would actually work my way backwards to get through the grommet though. Put an electricians fish tape or a coat hanger, being careful of the other wiring of course, through from the engine bay side and then find it on the interior side. It was easier for me to do it that way.
You did it without removing the PCM? I had to remove it twice and everytime it was a pain. Next time I'll just try with a coat hanger.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mindreaper
You did it without removing the PCM? I had to remove it twice and everytime it was a pain. Next time I'll just try with a coat hanger.
It can be done but removing the PCM is easier. I had my wife with her narrow arms reach back there and start it for me. Then just pushed it through carefully. If I hadn't had her help no way I could've done it without removal of the PCM.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my PCM out numerous times to clean behind there, send it in for a tune, etc.....never has it caused me any trouble -- is it mounted differently on the Firebird or something?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

Didn't seem like it to me. Although my computer is a little different than most because it's a 98. Took a little effort to slide it back in place. I've had mine out before for cleaning as well. The time my wife helped was when I was nervous about removing the PCM. Now I know better and it's no big deal. I have to admit though I still hold my breath when I put it back in and have to turn the car over.