Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

**UPDATE** On CHROMED Transam Letters and Grills

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **UPDATE** On CHROMED Transam Letters and Grills

For those of you just tuning in, i've been working with a company that chromes plastic peices. Now for some, this may not seem like a big deal, but you too will soon become a believer

The company i have been working for is 1 of a kind. They are unparalled when it comes to preperation and chroming. They specialize in chroming plastic parts. Now i do not mean vacuum metalizing, i mean REAL triple plate chrome. And for those of you who do not know what vacuum metalizing is...

The definition of vacuum metalizing is a vacuum method of coating material surfaces with evaporated metal vapor. Vacuum metalizing can be used to coat non-conductive or difficult-to-plate materials such as plastics, glass and non-ferrous metals.

In lamin terms basically they shoot particles of metal onto a surface, its a PAINT that looks like chrome. It is prone to yellowing, chipping, fading, other discoloration and rapid deteroration.

I am not bashing other companies here but those such as Afterthoughts auto sell these peices. Now they are nice peices, don't get me wrong, but they are NOT chromed.

Vacuum metalizing is typically used on interior peices, such as your key starter, or dial rings and *****, outside emblems and inside emblems, model cars and such.

When you clean this type of stuff it is not cleaned like chrome, you cannot use a metal cleaner, sometimes it will just screw it up.

Anyway, the peices i am trying to get chromed will be triple plate chromed, copper, nikel & chrome. There will be REAL metal on top of the surfaces, they can be cleaned just like your wheels, they will withstand the elements just like your wheels, they will not chip, fade, crack or deterorate, as long as you have normal chrome up keep on them.

Now some of you might be wondering, well how come i just don't goto a local chromer to have my stuff dipped?

Well, in order to have something chromed you need to have a conductive surface, now any of you that went to elementary school know that plastic is not conductive. Therefore specialized equipment must be used in order to make the surface conductive.

Some places electroplate plastic, which metal particles are sprayed onto the peice than again with a chrome spray, better quality than vacuum metalizing but still NOT REAL CHROME.

Real chroming plastic consits of a very rigorous prep, and the results are unbelievable, no comparison to other peices, real chrome, real depth, real amazing.

The only downside is that sometimes it costs almost double what a metal equivalent would cost to chrome, and the time is greater aswell. So far i've been qouted for a 3-4 week turnaround, which is why i would be taking orders in bulk, between 5-15 at a time.

I have sent transam letters to this place and the best i can do right now is 160.00 for a set. I am basically making NOTHING on this, trust me. I am just trying to offer my services and get my name known for quality.

Some of you might think i'm nuts for that price, but its real chrome. Imagine how your dark colored cars with silver or chrome accents will look when they have chromed door emblems, or your fuel rail covers with the same.

I will have pictures soon of the t/a letters.

I have sent the t/a nostril grills to this place aswell, they should get them sometime next week. I might not see any pictures of these things or even get them for close to a month, but usually grills (according to them) are easier to do. Less prep, (they don't have to strip paint or make a contact point on the backs, like the t/a letters, which requires time)

I have gotten pretty good responses on chrome grills and side peices, i hope it takes off once you see the quality. The price might be high but just remember, your buying chrome. It will withstand the rain, the snow, the occasional rock and the cleanliness and depth will be unparalled to that of any company offering f-body accessories to date.

If you are truely interested and would rather have REAL CHROME instead of the 5 dollar spray paint can you spent on your peices, than PM me or email me and i'll add you to a future email list.

Thanks for you time.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: **UPDATE** On CHROMED Transam Letters and Grills

The grills are now available to order, i do not stock them because they are MADE TO ORDER - email or PM for pricing.

Quick Reply: **UPDATE** On CHROMED Transam Letters and Grills