Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

'02 Z28 Fuel System (sorry kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Z28 Fuel System (sorry kinda long)

I'm posting on this Forum because I think you guys can help me the most. I'm putting an LS1 from a 2002 Camaro Z28/SS into my '76 Corvette. Let me add that the engine/tranny came out of a totaled car so a part out of a good car did not occur. I sure wouldn't want to make my Camaro friends mad. For what it's worth, the first new car I ever purchased was a "arrest me red" IROC. My questions are specific to the '02 Camaro fuel and emissions equipment. I did all the required searching but I was getting frustrated getting little bits here and there. My big problem is that I live in California and my car will have to pass the emissions testing with all of the Camaro systems operational.
Here is how I think the fuel system is configured. I have never actually seen the Camaro tank, this is a guess. Supply line from tank thru pump (or pump in tank), thru filter/reg/return assembly- to fuel rails. Vent line from top of tank thru valve to intake. Fuel return line from regulator. So I'm guessing 3 lines?? Is this right?
1) I'm pretty sure that the Camaro had the fuel pressure sensor mounted in the top of the fuel tank. Is this correct?
2) Is the fuel pump internal or external.
3) Is there a filter/pressure regulator/fuel return set-up?
4) How is excess fuel tank pressure relieved? I assume there must be a valve in the vent line somewhere. Is this valve on the engine? Where does the vent line tie into the engine?
Any help I could get on this would be greatly appreciated. I think I have most of the other emissions stuff figured out. If there are any additional pointers you can think of related to the fuel/emissions systems, please include it.
Thanks in Advance....gp
Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

1)not sure.
2)internal fuel pump
3)there is a filter which is along the driver side frame in the back, pressure regulator is in the engine bay by the fuel rails I believe.
4)there is a valve on the end of the driver side fuel rail.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Just got back from the junk yard. I decided to go back and get the tank so can adapt the fuel pump/PSI sensor to my Vette tank. Anybody know what the other stuff is???
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...a/DSC03946.jpg

Is this the correct spot to hook up the vent line from the fuel tank?
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...a/DSC03940.jpg

TIA...gp
Old 06-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Last post from me. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good 2002 Z28 service manual? I'm primarily interested in Engine/Trans, fuel & Emissions.

Thanks....Now I'll get back over to conversions where I belong!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture001.jpg
Old 06-06-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey palamesa, the regulator is in tank with the fuel pump from my searches. I use AllData.com for most of my stuff on my conversion. It's really good for the electrical diagrams and connector identification... Good luck

Quick Reply: '02 Z28 Fuel System (sorry kinda long)