Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z28 and Long Tubes with Lowered Car? Scrubbing???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z28 and Long Tubes with Lowered Car? Scrubbing???

I have a 1999 Z28 that I lowered last weekend with Intrax Springs and KYB AGX Shocks/Struts. The problem is that I lowered it about 2". I already scrub going over speed bumps at any speed at my work and scrub the guard on the front at any incline I go down unless I almost stop the car. I am assuming Long Tubes are going to hang down more than whatever that is scrubbing on my belly of my car and possibly rip them off. Is this an issue with only certain brands of long tubes or all of them? Would the MAC Midlengths give me the same issues if their are any issues with the Long Tubes? I just hate to buy shorty's as for the money I would rather spend more to get a few more HP. But don't want to break my headers just because I lowered my car. I also have low profile tires which makes it worse. I have 2000 Chrome Y2K vette wheels with 265x35xzr18 tires so it is low to the ground
Old 05-01-2003, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Z28 and Long Tubes with Lowered Car? Scrubbing???

In my experiences, any LT's on a lowered car risk issues with scraping and/or grinding. It's a risky proposition, for sure. You may be fine doing a set of mid-length headers if you aren't seeing a lot of track time. As long as you go with an ORP, I don't think you'll give up that much power at all. Some LT's do hang lower than others but mine (once known as Grotyohann) sometime rub the speed bumps and I'm stock ride height.

I'd love to lose the 4X4 look, but not at the cost of my headers.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am lowered 1.5" and have the Jet Hot LT's. I have not scraped yet, and i have gone thru some pretty crappy patches of road. With a 2" drop, you might some more problems tho. If you are already scraping your stock exhaust, then you will definitly scrape the heck out of the LT's and/or Ypipe. If your set on LT's, u might need to swap out your springs, unless you are going to put duals after the LT's. Dual setups that dump before the axle seem to be the best ground clearance freindly setup for LT's. You could also start looking at Midlengths.... which will have better clearance, but net less power.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

I have the Eibach prokit with SLP lt's. Its do-able if your careful. I know for sure that there are some places I can't go into because of the driveways. You can see the long tubes from the side of my car along with the y-pipe. I'ved rubbed once but only on the y-pipe. The headers aren't the problem its the Y-pipe. I don't want to go back to stock height..these cars look great sitting low.