Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration after LT Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after LT Header Install

Hey guys, I recently installed my LT Headers. Two problems, the first I noticed was an air leak coming from my passenger side manifold. I ordered some better steel gaskets since the ones that came with the headers were cheapos. Hopefully this will help fix the problem because I don't want to get into tightening the header just to find out the gasket is the main problem. The second problem I noticed was a severe vibration. When I step on the gas I can hear the flowmasters vibrating like crazy up until about 3500 rpms. Any ideas on why this may be happening? I had it perfect (no clanging/vibrating) before we installed the LT Headers and the ORY Pipe. Anyone experience these problems?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Have you put it on the lift and checked to make sure you're not missing a hangar or something?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah get the car up on a lift or jackstands and fire it up to chase down the vibration. Are you sure the y-pipe isn't banging the floorboard? That is a super-common problem. As for your header leak, you're better off using your stock steel gaskets than those POS paper ones.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

The stock steel gaskets just didn't look too pretty. I'm going to wait until my new gaskets come than I will put it up on the lift at one of my father's shops to find out what is going on. I also have to figure out why my O2 sim. is not working!!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

The vibration is most likely the Y-pipe hitting the floor, or some other part of the exhaust making contact with the chassis.

Check everything out and see what you come up with.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the SAME problem...the whole cat back system would shake and rattle like crazy! but after about a week, the headers broke in and the vibrations stopped...
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure your not hanging your exhaust metal to metal...i did this and without the flex of rubber hangers it will vibrate till it breaks somthing. thats what happ to me.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure that the exhaust piping isn't making contact or close to the underside of your car. After I had my LTs and fabricated Y installed, I had a rather jarring, buzzing rattle when accelerating from a stop. Given that amount my car is lowered, I asked that I get as much ground clearance out of the exhaust as possible. As such, it was tucked up very close to the body. I drove back to the shop and some gasket sealant was applied in between the pipes and the body. This wasn't preferable really but it could be done immediately. If they had some, they would've used heater hose. I would recommend you look under the car again and see if the pipes are close to the body and slip in some heater hose - it won't melt - and see if that prevents these vibrations you've described.

Hope that helps you.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

heat sheild virbration

Quick Reply: Vibration after LT Header Install