Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Do I need sail panel speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need sail panel speakers?

I've just finished installing a Focal 165KP 2-way kit in the doors of my Z28 (with Dynamat Xtreme all over the inner skin and part of the outer skin), and before I start looking at an amp to power it, I'd like your opinion on whether or not I also need speakers in the sail panels. If I don't then I'll just get a 2 channel amp for the 165KP's; otherwise I'll put a 4 channel amp to also feed the sail panels.

Just for your information, I also intend to have one 10" stealth box at the rear, fed by a separate class D amp.

So my question is: do you guys think sail panel speakers are really gonna add much depth to the sound, or are the front 165KP's and rear 10" sub gonna be enough? And if you advise me to get some speakers for the sail panels, should I just look at mid-range speakers or another 2-way kit? (Focal again or another make?) Any recommendation on what amp to get?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have no idea what your preferences are...if you want them - get them (depending on if you want more midbass, midrange, full...etc). Some people are fine with one set of coaxial speakers up front run off the HU......others use and amp full range speakers in their doors, sails, hatches and would probably mount 4" speakers in their cupholders if they could.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

So far I've only done 1 install and it was on an '87 Corvette convertible, so the mids and highs only came from the front, and I had two 10" subs at the rear too (behind the seats). But on an F-body I can have speakers at the back too (I mean the sail panels, I'm not gonna put speakers in the hatch), so I was wondering whether or not sail panel speakers would really make a world of difference to the quality of the sound.

I think I might just buy a 4 channel amp instead of a 2-channel, this way if ever I decide to upgrade to sail panel speakers later on then I won't have to buy a second 2-channel amp.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sails add some fill but with the quality Focal components you used it really isn't gonna make a HUGE difference. Some difference yes. If anything I'd put a midbass speaker in there for midbass fill. I used CDT CL-6's others have used the CDT M-6 with good results. Ran off an amp of course. I now have CDT EF-8's in the sails and have a massive amount of midbass when needed. The CL-6 is a great mid fill that requires NO modification to fit and sounds great. Inexpensive as well...can be had for around $100.00. As far as the hatch goes...just disconnect them and leave it. They are completely useless when you have a great set of speakers like Focal's up front. You won't even hear them unless you pop the hatch and stand back there. I think GM put them there so they could say it had 10 speakers. LOL!!! Marketing ploy.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice, that really helps . I'm first gonna build my stereo with empty sail panels, and if I feel I need a little extra midbass in there I'll most likely follow your advice on the CL-6's.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am in the process of building a system and have focal k2ps for the doors let me know how happy you are with them once you have things working. I can't wait to get my stuff going. I'm buying a focal 165 v2 polyglass component set and pairing the crossovers and tweeters with the k2ps since I got them as midranges only at a great price. I will be using a JL 300/4 to power everything up. I don't think you need sail panell speakers but they are nice to have its the rear hatch speakers you really don't need.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

WS6Jim: Sounds like a nice project you have there. I'll most definitely post photos of my finished install here, and let you know how it sounds. I think I'll make my own amp rack and stealth box. I live in Belgium so importing them from the US would be expensive, plus I kind of enjoy working with wood.