Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 Impala 5.3l conversion

Hello all,
I am new to this site and have found it most useful. I am restoring a 63 impala
and have a buddy that has a 5.3l and auto overdrive trans out of a 2000
model truck. He was going to put it in a 38 ford but got scared when he
seen all the wiring. It has the wiring harness, computer and the underhood fuseboxes. He will almost give it to me. Has any one done this conversion
before? Also, is a custom efi gas tank my only choice? The ones i've called about are around 1000 bucks. I would like to keep the gas tank in the original
spot.Is there anything off a late model that would fit.One more thing ..
Will that 5.3l have enough power for my big car?

Thanks for helping out a rookie!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now adays.. if its a LSx engine , it seem to be popping up in everything ... I beleive that there are a few swap that have been posted here on those early Impala's..

Don't get too worried about the Wiring, it is a common thing to get it modified by a vendor or yourself (just read the FAQ/Sticky).

Not sure of the shape of the tank and what you can swap in from other year or cars.... I used a 95 Impala Gas tank in my Chevelle.. not saying it will work for you, but that swapping different tanks is an low cost option . Also many have used the TANKSINC setup to convert to a intank pump.

If that 5.3l can push around a loaded truck all day, it will handle your 63' ok. You can alway stick in a cam and I recommend a turn (could be just a baisc mail one or on a dyno, depending on what you want in the end)

Good luck and post some picture as you move along on your project.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

5.3L moves the wifes Suburban about pretty sharply. 19mpg average and 3.73 gearing. Good little motors. You may have hood clearance issues with the truck motor, the intake sticks up pretty high. On the upside, no electric fans to mess with!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Launching!

If you do end up having a clearance problem using the truck intake, you can always swap on an LS1, or LS6 intake...

If you just want the engine and trans, but would rather run a carb they do make carb intakes for these engines, and that would simplify the wiring quite a bit!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the project pages at Street and Performance www.hotrodlane.cc I recall they have at least one lsx swap in an early 60s Chebbie

Pat
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

If he's got the harness and underhood fuse box, it's easy wiring it up from there. Just find a place to mount everything. Run power from battery to fusebox, fusebox to car power distribution block, ignition on wire to underhood fuse box ignition relay and start wire to underhood fuse box for tripping the starter relay. Few other wires for guages and AC and thats it. Plus the fuel pump wiring of course. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: 63 Impala 5.3l conversion