Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bolt-in SFC question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolt-in SFC question

I know when welding in SFCs that the suspension should be loaded. Is it the same for bolt-in ones as well. I understand it would be ideal but is it as detrimental as they aren't permanently mounted?

Thanx!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

When installing any kind of SFC, the suspension should be loaded. It doesn't matter how they are mounted (bolt/weld). The suspension should be loaded.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Although it isnt as much of a concern as with weld-in SFCs, the suspension should be loaded when installing them.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by michaelg589
Although it isnt as much of a concern as with weld-in SFCs, the suspension should be loaded when installing them.
You mean with the physical weight of the car on the suspension?? How could you load the suspension if the car is on a lift?? I'm just curious, I have never installed them before and I would like to know the correct way to do it.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:07 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I use 2 sets of the plastic rhino ramps. drive up on the front ones, then jack up the rear to slide the rear ones under the tires and then let it down on the ramps. the rhino ramps are cheap and work great. I do oil changes and other work the same way.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelg589
The concern is exactly the same because you are doing the exact same thing... connecting the sub-frames. The only difference is the manner of mounting (bolt vs weld). The functionality is exactly the same. The same forces are applied. The same structural concerns come into play.

Originally Posted by KONG
You mean with the physical weight of the car on the suspension?? How could you load the suspension if the car is on a lift?
Drive-On Lift.