Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to start tuning

HPtuners will be here in a day or two and am looking forward to doing the tuning myself. Just wondering where to start. I have LT headers, Catted Y-pipe, lid and GMMG cat back. I looked in the bin repository and didn't see any tunes with my mods. Any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Start by saving for a WBO2 if you haven't ordered one yet.

For a stock '99, there's not going to be much you can do in the timing department since it's mostly 27~29* already (except around peak torque). The main focus will probably be on getting the AFR dialed in....and if it's an auto, tweaking the trans a little to your liking.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-05-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon

For a stock '99, there's not going to be much you can do in the timing department since it's mostly 27~29* already (except around peak torque). The main focus will probably be on getting the AFR dialed in....and if it's an auto, tweaking the trans a little to your liking.
Yeah I figured I was going to need that and was planning making that my next purchase. Nothing I can do before I get that? Yes it's an auto so I was planning on adjusting that. How much TQ management can I safely remove?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Judge Smales
Yeah I figured I was going to need that and was planning making that my next purchase. Nothing I can do before I get that? Yes it's an auto so I was planning on adjusting that. How much TQ management can I safely remove?
I don't usually like to remove more than 50% Tq. Mgt. as a personal preference. If you're ever a few miles south, we could meet up and I might be able to show you a few things. I am an EFI Live guy though...so it might take a minute to find the right tables. I work out of Warren during the week at the GM Tech Ctr.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

I don't usually like to remove more than 50% Tq. Mgt. as a personal preference. If you're ever a few miles south, we could meet up and I might be able to show you a few things. I am an EFI Live guy though...so it might take a minute to find the right tables. I work out of Warren during the week at the GM Tech Ctr.
Thanks, I usually end up down at woodward on Saturday nights if the weather is right. Actually planning on heading down this Saturday since they are calling for a nice day. So I can take out 50% with no problem or should I start taking out less and go from there? It definately feels richer down low since I installed the headers and GMMG and was hoping I could help that out.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I usually end up down at woodward on Saturday nights if the weather is right. Actually planning on heading down this Saturday since they are calling for a nice day. So I can take out 50% with no problem or should I start taking out less and go from there? It definately feels richer down low since I installed the headers and GMMG and was hoping I could help that out.
The richer down low issue is what you'll need the WB for.

As for the Tq Mgt, it's there to preserve tranny life. I think of it as a slider bar...on one end you have trans life and the other you have performance. Which do you want more of? I pulled 50% from my A4 when I had it and it was fine while I had it. But, I can't say how long it will last in that form. Depends on too many things...

I'm not always around on the weekends unfortunately. I usually head back up to Lansing for the weekend. But, if you're ever down here during the week, LMK...
Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

The richer down low issue is what you'll need the WB for.

As for the Tq Mgt, it's there to preserve tranny life. I think of it as a slider bar...on one end you have trans life and the other you have performance. Which do you want more of? I pulled 50% from my A4 when I had it and it was fine while I had it. But, I can't say how long it will last in that form. Depends on too many things...

I'm not always around on the weekends unfortunately. I usually head back up to Lansing for the weekend. But, if you're ever down here during the week, LMK...
I take it you live up there and work down here? Did you notice a difference when you removed the 50% of TQ managment? I don't usually get down that way during the week, but will definately keep it in mind.
Thanks for answering my questions. Sounds like the WB is pretty much a definate have. Which WB are you using.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

I take it you live up there and work down here? Did you notice a difference when you removed the 50% of TQ managment? I don't usually get down that way during the week, but will definately keep it in mind.
Thanks for answering my questions. Sounds like the WB is pretty much a definate have. Which WB are you using.
Yeah, I've got an apartment down here during the week. But, family/friends are up there.

Pulling Trq Mgt will make the shifts feel more firm/crisp because the PCM isn't pulling as much timing from the motor as it usually would. Therefore, it becomes more of a 'powershift'.

I personally like the LM1. Had an LC1 and moved up due to portability and ease of installing on multiple vehicles. I've also heard good things about the Dynojet setup.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Launching!

I removed all the TM on my car, but then again it is a v6 as well.

Start out with tran settings, fan speeds, shift points, and maybe add a couple degrees and watch for KR and such.