Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to install Pro 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to install Pro 5.0

I am about to install a Pro 5.0 in my camaro soon and I wanted to know if i should add anything to the tranny fluid or if there is a way to tell if it is full.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

well have you changed the tranny fluid before?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I just bought the car about 6 months ago, and the guy had all the fluids swapped out.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if he changed the tranny fluid 6 months ago i see now reason why u would NEED to do it again.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Just as a FYI.. the proper way to fill the tranny is as follows: Remove the "Fill" plug out of the transmission (Car must be up in the air). Pour in proper tranny fluid (Dextron III) until it comes out of the fill hole. Put plug back in and install shifter. You should be good to go. If you drain it out prior, it will take almost exactly 4 quarts of fluid.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM
8 Second Club

the shifter install is pretty easy for the most part. the little 9/32 screws are kind of a pain in the ***. you probably wangt to take the whole console out or at least unbolt it so you can get to thdm easier
Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Correct me if im wrong but doesn't GM state that the oil in the T56 never needs to be changed? or is it 150,000 miles? I don't remember off the top of my head but either way if it was done 6 months ago then it doesnt need changed again for a very very long time. Now on the Pro 5.0, its very notchy an noisy, I would suggest you put some foam down around the inside of the shifter-I have yet to do this myself but I hear it works-also, make sure you get the stop bolts adjusted right too otherwise you'll get a click sound everytime you shift-which got kind of annoying to me after awhile. Some people absolutely love this shifter and have claimed to never miss a shift, I find this a little hard to believe but whatever I guess anything is possible.

I use to miss gears quite abit when I first got it, especially 3rd (but who hasn't in a t56 right?) The last time I went to the track however, I found out that if I rowed thru the gears about 8 to 10 times before I went down the strip-I didnt miss a single gear. I did about 6 passes that night and didn't miss one gear. I don't know if somehow that made me a better driver? haha, or it loosened it up a little bit and kept it from hitting the seperator in the shifter? Who knows but usually when I went to the track I'd miss 3rd at least once or twice. sorry for the long post just thought I'd give some insight on the Pro 5.0
Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I just installed mine yesterday. Easy install. Shifter feels great, but the center of the H pattern moved from the center of the shifter to more the bottom right area.

Kind of hard to describe, but you'll see what I mean. Then again, I installed Lou's Short Stick too, so that might be it.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Launching!

When i first installed mine, I had a hard time shifting it into 3rd real quick. I finally realized that i was trying to move it over to far while shifting it upwards into 3rd. I have since found out that throwing the shifter straight forward puts it in 3rd very nicely. I guess before i was paranoid about accidently letting it slip back into first, but i have NEVER had it done so. Even while powershifting and slamming it into gear as hard and fast as i can