PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB TO 9-pin adapter not working.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default USB TO 9-pin adapter not working.

I have a lap top that does not have a 9-pin and i have the adapter installed. The lap top tells me that the adapter is working, but it will not read my car. I have the right cables for my car and i know they work. My friends lap top has the 9-pin on it and i have no problem dataloging or tuning from his. I just needed to get mine up and running so I dont have to bug him all the time. Any help would be great.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which these USB to 9 way adabtors it created a virtual COM port on your laptop/PC, this comport number can be COM1 or COM2, but usually COM5. On your freinds laptop its probably COM1 as its built in.

To find out what comport its on:-

For Win98/2000, Go into you control Panel then System, then Hardware Tab, then click on Device Manager, Click on Ports, it will let you know what com port it put it on.

For WinXP, Go control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, then System, then Hardware Tab, then click on Device Manager, Click on Ports, it will let you know what com port it put it on.

Remember that com port number, close down the windows you just opened, do into your scanning software, and find the place where you need to enter in the comport nmber, the scanning softwre suallay scans ports 1-4, but dosn't look at com5, I guess it depends on your scanning software.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks it was on com port 5, I put it on comport 1 since it was not in use. I will find out later on tonight if it will read the car. Thanks again from your help.
Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Which these USB to 9 way adabtors it created a virtual COM port on your laptop/PC, this comport number can be COM1 or COM2, but usually COM5. On your freinds laptop its probably COM1 as its built in.

To find out what comport its on:-

For Win98/2000, Go into you control Panel then System, then Hardware Tab, then click on Device Manager, Click on Ports, it will let you know what com port it put it on.

For WinXP, Go control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, then System, then Hardware Tab, then click on Device Manager, Click on Ports, it will let you know what com port it put it on.

Remember that com port number, close down the windows you just opened, do into your scanning software, and find the place where you need to enter in the comport nmber, the scanning softwre suallay scans ports 1-4, but dosn't look at com5, I guess it depends on your scanning software.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Now that i have a good com port, Im getting a new message. It is ( The ALDL adapter is working and unknown data was detected. This may be an unsupported PCM type). Any ideas.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have HP tuners and EFI Live, I plugged into the ALDL connector on a '96 Camaro and got a simular message to you, we put it down to perhaps the vehicle was too old for the software i had, hopefully someone an chime in here. But I beleive the software I have is '98 and above.

Wasn't the old PCM's EPROM bassed not flash, which means to change anything on the car you have to physically change a chip which just unplugs. I dont know the year they change from EPROM to Flash, all I know is '89 was EPROM '98 is Flash, so they change somewhere between them.

You said your freind connected and tuned okay, was this on your car?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Did you install any driver(s) for your adapter? I have had similar problems before when I forgot to do that. HTH