Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch installed, tough to get into gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 clutch installed, tough to get into gear

Installed an LS7 clutc/pp and LS2 flywheel this weekend along with new slave and master cylinders. Hydraulics were manually bled and power bled. Install went smoothly.

With the car off I can get into any gear no problem. When I turn the car on I can get into 3rd and 4th with a little pressure but I need to push like hell to get into 1st. I cannot get into reverse at all with the car on. If I put the car in reverse first, then turn on the car, the car idles fine and don't jerk or lunge. If I pop it out of reverse with the car on I can hear the RPMs go up just a little.

Took the car for a drive. When in 1st on a totally flat area, the car will move slightly forward. As soon as I release the pedal a little bit, it will move forward like it is engaging. 2-6 engage right off the floor when I am driving and shifting.

Drove about 10 miles. Little to no change in how tough it is to get into gear. Still can't get into reverse with the car on.

I know the PP is supposed to be "self adjusting" so do I just need to keep driving it? Seems lots of people say that it engages right off the floor initially, but not many people talk about having to force it into gear. I have also read about a few people that say to "pre-adjust" the pressure plate.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Default had same thing

i just gravity bled the system, pumped the crap out of it. bled again, (saw some air bubbles in the reservoir) then i could get it into gear with just a little effort. my only worry was wearing out the syncros in my trans while i fought getting it into gear. now it works great. good luck.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSJoe15
i just gravity bled the system, pumped the crap out of it. bled again, (saw some air bubbles in the reservoir) then i could get it into gear with just a little effort. my only worry was wearing out the syncros in my trans while i fought getting it into gear. now it works great. good luck.
Yeah, I think I need to bleed it some more.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skytower31
Yeah, I think I need to bleed it some more.

Thanks.
I had to bleed mine 3 times to get the air out!!

Bob K.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, bled the clutch some more last night...little to no air came out...not much change...here is some more info though:

Car running, tranny in neutral, e-brake off, foot off brake pedal, clutch pedal depressed. When I go to put it into 1st, the car will roll forward for a few inches until the gear is fully engaged. Now I can let the pedal out 1 to 1.5 inches and the car will not move forward anymore. But anything past 1.5 inches of pedal travel and I can tell the clutch is finally starting to engage enough to move the car forward.

Do I just need to start breaking this thing in?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ahead and break in. Just start the car while it's in first to save some synchro wear. It will right itself soon. Mine did.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderdan74
Go ahead and break in. Just start the car while it's in first to save some synchro wear. It will right itself soon. Mine did.
Ok, thanks for your input.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Specifically, how are you bleeding it? Most posts I see are incorrect.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch installed, tough to get into gear