Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter LT's and TSP Catted Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter LT's and TSP Catted Y-Pipe

Anyone using TSP CATTED Y-pipe with Pacesetters on a 4th Gen? I'm interested in ease of install of y-pipe and any other opinions. Thanks..

Last edited by dwhiteZ28; 06-06-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a friend who had that setup...He said it was fairly easy to install because the TSP y-pipe is adjustable and allows you to tweak it until it fits just right.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

I am currently running the Pacesetter LT / TSP catted Y combo on my car. The quality of both is great, although my LT's are uncoated and came on the car when I bought it so they are UGLY. They have also been cut off and re-welded about 4 times so the ends were too short to reach the Y-pipe, but the quality was great on the Y-pipe. I plan on getting another set of Pacesetters with Ceramic coating to dress up the engine bay a bit, but I love the headers and Y-pipe.

Nick
Old 06-06-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

I have pacesetters lts with the tsp catted y pipe bolted up perfect.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running pacesetters and tsp catted y with a flowmaster(I know I know). I like the catted sound better than the ory.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had it. I like my pacesetter ORY MUCH better. Adjustable means you have to buy a crap load of band clamps...because once you install it with the U clamps it comes with it will leak, and be next to impossible to readjust. Oh you will be re adjusting lots. I had to get poly mounts AND a bumpstop to get it so it wouldnt bump the floor and drag the ground. I think adjustable is a clevar advertising scheme that allows them to ship it in a much smaller box. I dont know about the rest of you, but I think there isnt very much difference between the way the catted Ys were put on on the cars that enjoy them...So why make it adjustable? Just make it to where it gives perfect ground clearance and doesnt bump the ground. I would advise getting one that already made, or having one made.

When I put mine on I had to pull it right back off so i could adjust it. This was a never ending battle. Every adjustment involved putting the car in the air, pulling the Y off, and putting it in a vice so I could make a tiny adjustment in one side...and then the other side. It just wouldnt turn without force once it was crimped by the U clamps. Then Id put it back on the car and lower it back down only to see that what I did made a new problem.

I am in favor of the Pacesetter Y because there is an OVAL spot in the pipe to allow clearance, a bracket to mount on the OEM bracket, and I can almost get an entire coke can under the Y behind the headers. In the center of the car I can get it all the way plus a half an inch. With my TSP catted Y the best I could do was a coke can on its side behind the headers.

Oh yeah, my cats had dents and scrapes all over em.

Pacesetter Y took 15 minutes to install and it was over with. Never a bump or scrape. Just my $0.02
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Launching!

I have the Pacesetter/TSP Catted Y set-up. When mine was installed it was done on a lift which made all adjustments very easy. I only had to adjust the drivers side cat a little because it was ever so lightly hitting the floorboard on hard acceleration. No big deal. I have great ground clearance and no banging at all. I used band clamps and have no leaks.

Granted it is MUCH more difficult to make adjustments lying on your back rather than standing under it with everything in full view. I love the combo, it fits great. If you can get access to a lift it will make the install so much easier. I thought the install was very easy actually. One tip...if you get this combo...take a round file and remove any burrs from the pipe ends where they slide over each other. Makes it easier to slide them on and twist for any adjustments.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have installed several of these header and y-pipe options here with ZERO issues. If you are looking for a Catted-Y then the TSP y-pipe is hard to beat. We designed it in 4 pieces to allow for complete adjustability and offer an easy install. The "slip-fit" connections are setup to be fairly tight to minimize exhaust leaks. The y-pipe comes with all the hardware to complete the install. If you would rather have all band clamps instead of U-bolt exhaust clamps, simply tell your salesperson and we can get you fixed up with the 3 extra band clamps. If you have any questions, please give us a call and we will be happy to assist you in any way possible!

Thanks!
Jon Reynolds
Old 06-07-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet it would have been a lot easier on a lift...and with band clamps. The U clamps destroyed it so bad that I seriously had to use a vice to make any adjustments. A trick that I learned was using a marker and drawing a line across the joint in the pipe that you are wanting to adjust. When you adjust it the lines move apart and you can see just how much you moved it. I imagine that I would have had a much better experience with it if I had access to a lift and I had used band clamps.

Jon, why dont you offer it as a one or even two piece kit?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

I just installed the Pacesetter Headers and y-pipe, along with the Torquer V.2 cam and 5.3 heads from TSP. Zero problems with the header install and only problem I had with the y-pipe was unhooking the catback to install it. Ground clearance is great and no banging(Poly motor/tranny mounts). I will be ordering band clamps though.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I bet it would have been a lot easier on a lift...and with band clamps. The U clamps destroyed it so bad that I seriously had to use a vice to make any adjustments. A trick that I learned was using a marker and drawing a line across the joint in the pipe that you are wanting to adjust. When you adjust it the lines move apart and you can see just how much you moved it. I imagine that I would have had a much better experience with it if I had access to a lift and I had used band clamps.

Jon, why dont you offer it as a one or even two piece kit?

Good point on drawing the line across the joint....I did the exact same thing
Old 06-07-2007, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We offer it as the 4 piece to make it adjustable. If we did it as 1 or 2 pieces it would fit on one car without any issues of ground clearance and sufficent body clearance but it might not work on the other. If one car has weak or worn motor mounts, it will torque over more than the car with new mounts and hit the bottom of the car. It simply allows for more adjustment for such issues.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I used band clamps not the c clamps it came with no exhaust leaks here.