Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

a couple Textralia questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a couple Textralia questions...

what's the difference between the "X" grip and "Z" grip clutches?

..and...

this setup will be going in my SS (in sig)....would it be worth my while to spring for the alluminum flywheel? this car is basically a DD and will see some track duty (1320', not autocross). i've heard a lot of people (redneck ***-scratchers) say "hell yeah! alluminum is light weight!!" and i've heard some LS1techers say the same thing. THEN i've heard some people, both dumb and respectable/experienced say "No alluminum flywheel for 1/4 mile racing."

my problem is: i want the decreased rotating mass for faster reving and such...plus just good old fashion weight redux. BUT, billet steel is strong, cheap, and will have more rotating intertia to help go from one gear to the next and carry the momentum so the car will scoot along a little better..

which should i go with? thanks...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

the X grip has a ceramic surface on one side and a carbon metallic surface on the other side. the Z grip has ceramic on both sides and is rated to hold more power.

the steel fly. is only 18lbs, i don't think your gonna get one that much lighter then that.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 AM
10 Second Club

Go with the Billet Steel flywheel. I have that on my car. You will hate the Aluminum one if you DD it.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by purdueranger
Go with the Billet Steel flywheel. I have that on my car. You will hate the Aluminum one if you DD it.

what's so different about the alluminum one that makes it difficult/aggirvating to drive?

honestly, i plan on buying the billet steel fly, but was just curious about the benefits/disadvantages of the alluminum one....looking for persuasion to spend more money is what i think i actually meant
Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSwanner
the X grip has a ceramic surface on one side and a carbon metallic surface on the other side. the Z grip has ceramic on both sides and is rated to hold more power.

the steel fly. is only 18lbs, i don't think your gonna get one that much lighter then that.
isnt the Z grip carbon metallic on both sides, and the X grip organic on one side and metallic on the other? iirc.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

personally i love my aluminum one in my 236/232 cam....it really helps getting that low, low end power moving..i really like it personally...it is a spec flywheel with a spec 3 clutch...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
a lot of my caddy customers get the alulminum i guess because their car is so much heavier? not sure on that one, i may be wrong.

i think for your car, the steel is fine, as for the x or z kung fu grip, give me a call and we'll discuss, thanks!

i got screwed royally and ended up paying WAY too much when i tagged my car and paid the taxes on it.....i'm waiting on my refund check before i do anything at all.....but i'm contemplating buying a dirtbike instead

my clutch is fine for around-town driving and "mild immaturity," the track is the only place where i need something beefier. i almost don't wanna put a clutch in the car until i NEED one, but that could be 50,000 miles from now....

i'll just wait to see what the next few days bring, but rest assured, i'll buy from Byunspeed when the time comes

Quick Reply: a couple Textralia questions...