Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls2 in thirdgen Headers Questions???

Old 06-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls2 in thirdgen Headers Questions???

What headers are out there that you can use besides the long tubes that Hawks sells.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

I think those are the only long tubes that you can buy pre-fabbed at this time. You could make your own too. I have the Hawks LTs, pretty nice and they fit well.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headers are nice. For the money, they are worth it. Stainless, they fit, and he'll make them with 3" collectors if you want. As far as I know, they are the only ones that are out there. Im waiting for someone to step up and make a set of cheaper mild ones. Seeing as how the thirdgen is a very popular swap platform.

You COULD make your own. But that intimidates the crap out of me. I couldnt imagine trying to make everything fit and line up and work out. Gives me a headache just thinkin about it. haha.

I just fabricated a new y-pipe, and even that was fun...getting the curves to fit and everything where i wanted it.

Justin
Old 06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to attempt my own header build by using a new set of third gen long tubes, some LS head flanges and some j and u tubing. I've done race car headers before but don't have the resources I once had so it will be more of a challenge. What I'll probably do is get them in basic form(tack-welded) and take them to work so the guys in the fab shop on base can tig them up for me. At least for now that's my plan unless somebody builds a set of mild-steel ones at a reasonable cost.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Teching In

What about shortie headers?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my understanding was if you're going to try shorties you might as well use corvette manifolds......they breath about the same and only weigh a tad more. Go with long tubes for power gains.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bygblok
my understanding was if you're going to try shorties you might as well use corvette manifolds......they breath about the same and only weigh a tad more. Go with long tubes for power gains.
Ditto. Those stock manifolds flow plenty for a mild to mildly built set up. If you make your y-pipe well or do duals, the manifolds will work good.

If you can make your own headers...I already look up to you. haha. Like I said, that just sends me into fits thinking about it.

Justin
Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

It really sucks that no one else makes these headers. I just can't justify spending $800 on a set of prefab headers...that not only don't have merge collectors, but are 2.5" at that (I know they have 3" now, but still). You can spend a couple hundred more and get a set custom made.

Just for the hell of it, I tried a set of hooker 4th gen headers on mine...no chance in hell of them fitting (I already knew that, but I wanted to see for myself). They hit on the rear control arm mount and the frame rail.

I'm going to bite the bullet and make my own. At least that way, I know they will fit and I will get the ground clearance I need.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Teching In

I will proably go with the hawks long tubes. Just wanted to see it there were any other options. Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Hawks fit good and they seem to flow pretty well, I think you'll be happy with them.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

could always keep your eyes open for a used set. I paid 650 for the ones i found

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls2 in thirdgen Headers Questions???