General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

tbi flooding badly

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tbi flooding badly

not sure where to post this, so i'll put it here.

i'm working on a 93 buick roadmaster with the 5.7l tbi. its been having a problem where it floods out while driving and dies. then after a while i guess its suppose to start up again and black smoke for a while. so today i replace the o2 sensor, cap,rotor, and fuel filter and all 8 plugs. on cold start up the thing fired right up and ran smooooth. so i took it for a ride. gave it about half throttle and it ran great. so i turn around to come back and i stomp on it and it bogs and dies. the thing would not start for nothing and was pumping tons of fuel. so to see if it was too much it disconnected one injector. i gave it alittle throttle and hit the key and it took a second but it started. then i connected the other injector. i proceeded to drive it home and it pulled itself along at idle which was at about 1200 rpm. then when i was almost home i gunned it and it died right away. so why is it getting so much fuel. oh and this was the first tune up since new and it has 145,000 miles.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Check the IAC (Idle Air Control) on the TBI. These get carboned up and need cleaning or replacement.

Chris
Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

May be a leaking injector i had a Jimmy with the 5.7 TBI... piece of junk fuel injection system. You could try testing the map sensor, or maybe a vacuum leak?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:28 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well, i figured it out. it was the coolant temp sensor. there was a check eng light for a low reading. i didn't figure it would do any thing. but this morning i started it and it ran great till it warmed up. then it made this horrible hissing nopise like a vacuum leak. so i sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and it did nothing. so i figured screw it so i unplugged the temp sensor. and BAM smooth idle and it ran better than it has in a long time. so i'm gonna replace the sensor tonight when i get the part here.

Quick Reply: tbi flooding badly