Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave Cylinder, how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder, how does it work?

I just got my replacement slave a couple days ago. I am a little worried that this one is broke, even though I am sure it isn't. I did some bench bleeding, as my master was out as well, and the slave didn't move. It did bleed properly though. Is it supposed to move up and down? How does it work? Just a little worried.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

When out of the car, the slave is in its uncompressed state, so pressing on the master while it's connected won't do anything. When it's on the input shaft and the trans is installed, it compresses and pressing on the master then releases or uncompresses the slave. I tried messing with it out of the car too and that's my conclusion (could be wrong however).
Old 06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the idea. When the slave is on and installed trans the pressure plate pushes the piston in quite a bit. Remeber, the slave isn't going to move very much when you depress the master. Think of your brake calipers when you bleed them, same idea. If the slave isn't leaking fluid or visibly damaged it's fine. Actually by messing with the hydaulic system out of the car you run the risk of over extending the slave and making a real mess for yourself.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

how about if those plastic retaining clip things break off, will the piston push too far? or is it alright?