Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Cylinder head clamping force LSX/6.0 IRON/WORLD

Old 06-07-2007, 01:10 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cylinder head clamping force LSX/6.0 IRON/WORLD

Well it seems everyone is on the rampage of getting there new LSX blocks.Me and a buddy of mine were talking about the new stuff with 6 bolt patterns.My question what is the clamping force differnets between the new LSX with MLS gaskets vs a 6.0 iron with copper gasket o ring reciver grooved.What will hold up better?The world im thinking is on the same page as the LSX but might not have the same clamping force as the LSX due to it's an aluminum block.This question is only for the big power adder cars that build extreme cylinder pressure.Is the new stuff sill gonna need the o ring reciver groove setup.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuff, are you currently using the L19 ARP studs? Good question as I have been wondering also.

Robert
Old 06-09-2007, 03:17 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
Tuff, are you currently using the L19 ARP studs? Good question as I have been wondering also.

Robert
Yes im using L19 studs maybe the question is to soon and there has not been any testing done.The one thing i wanna see is how much power can the new blocks take with a mls or whatever gasket that will work best without failure or lifting the head.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

This is interesting. Clamping force will be increased with more studs or bigger diameter studs, but sealing is a different issue although they will be related. If the studs are deep into the block (like lsx) shouldn't they be ok? Is there some way to calculate clamping loads, force times area or something like that?

Tuff, I had a propbem porsche turbo engine a while back. Gasket pushed sideways .020", broken fire ring and rings etc. No carbon leaks on gasket so I guessed it was instantaneous. The studs weren't stretched either. If you get head lift can you tell from carbon leaks? I guess you could but I've never had it happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cylinder head clamping force LSX/6.0 IRON/WORLD