Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI on a SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question CAI on a SS

OK, I am one of those that want to keep the functionality of the hood induction. I am also thinking about putting on a CAI. I talked to SLP about their product and whether to seal up the front of the box which their CAI product includes a provision to do that.

It was also said that on the SS the induction from the hood is best up to (lets say) 50 MPH and then the induction from the CAI really kicks in and outperforms the hood. From what I am told this is due to the way the air stream reacts to the nose of the car and as speed increases the hood induction rapidly loses its effectiveness. SLP suggested installing the CAI while leaving the front of the box open to receive the maximum air flow from the hood below 50 MPH and then above 50 MPH air would be dominant from the CAI.

I have read a post that said delivering air from 2 different directions (as described above) to the filter would cause the air flow to become upset and hurt air delivery to the intake. Can I get other experiences or comments? I am probably trying to over think this whole thing but it is worth a look to see what you all have to say.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always thought the hood was cool and all but not of much value as far as functionality goes. This is especially true in the summer when the hood is far above ambient temps. It just heats the air before it goes through the filter. My solution was just to put on an SSRA kit. I can block off the hood or let it flow. I haven't noticed much difference either way so I suspect you would be fine to use both the hood and CAI.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MISERICORDIA
I've always thought the hood was cool and all but not of much value as far as functionality goes. This is especially true in the summer when the hood is far above ambient temps. It just heats the air before it goes through the filter. My solution was just to put on an SSRA kit. I can block off the hood or let it flow. I haven't noticed much difference either way so I suspect you would be fine to use both the hood and CAI.
I love the look of the SS hood but agree that once it wanders around through its convoluted path it would be heated up a bit when temps are up (I didn't think of that). The WS6 hood is a much better design since it is closer to the lead edge of the car.

Looking back the older muscle cars (i.e. older GTO’s) the hood scoop sat right over the intake (unlike the SS) but with the nose of the car like a box I doubt it was very effecting even at slow speeds.

I see you said that you have not really noticed a difference with the front of the air box sealed off or open. I wounder if anyone has actually measured on the dyno if there is a difference? Well as I read in another thread the hood is up normally so I guess a dyno test wouldn't work unless the hood was left down. So I guess two similar trips down the 1/4 mile would have to be done (one run sealed and the second run) but driver error could draw unreliable info. I guess if you say the heck with it and go forced induction you don't have to worry about anything accept dropping a bunch of cash.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Launching!

If you left the front of the airbox open for the hood airflow how would you get the benefit of the CAI? As the airbox isn't closed off the air from the CAI could flow out the opening at the front of the box wouldn't it? The SS hood doesn't seal to the air box so without closing the front of the airbox I would think you would lose the benefitof the CAI.

When I got my FTRA I just sealed the front of the airbox to maximize airflow from the Fast-toys setup.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

do the ram air, on block the hodd off, I have been runnning that way awhile, ps, I have a slp fow pac for sale minus the bellows if you want it, pm me if interested.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I did not seal up the front of my SLP CAI. I have not noticed any difference in overall performance by doing that.

Mike
Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Launching!

To determine the benefit of any of these CAI systems you should try the test illustrated on http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Go into their Tech Library and read the test results of the FTRA. They were able to determine an increase in VE through the use of that CAI over a stock airbox. If you want to determine the delta between a CAI and the SS hood you can do the same thing.

If you read further on the article it also states "You have to be sure to seal the kit extremely well to gain the most you can from it"
Old 06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beaSSt
To determine the benefit of any of these CAI systems you should try the test illustrated on http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Go into their Tech Library and read the test results of the FTRA. They were able to determine an increase in VE through the use of that CAI over a stock airbox. If you want to determine the delta between a CAI and the SS hood you can do the same thing.

If you read further on the article it also states "You have to be sure to seal the kit extremely well to gain the most you can from it"
I see where you are coming from. You want the box to 'pressurize" for a lack of a better word. I thought that maybe the LS1 ability to intake air would dominate the amount of air you could get to it. To a point that is probably true up to a certain speed and then the air being forced in to the box by the CAI would cause air to find other places to escape (i.e. front of the box) since the ability to intake via the hood would severely lessen.

Thanks for the link and I will check it out. I did read up on the lid portion sometime ago at the university link but not the portion pertaining to CAI. I will say this before looking up the link in that I hope what they said is from testing and not due to what the manufacture said needed to be done.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beaSSt
If you left the front of the airbox open for the hood airflow how would you get the benefit of the CAI? As the airbox isn't closed off the air from the CAI could flow out the opening at the front of the box wouldn't it? The SS hood doesn't seal to the air box so without closing the front of the airbox I would think you would lose the benefitof the CAI.

When I got my FTRA I just sealed the front of the airbox to maximize airflow from the Fast-toys setup.
Actually there are some small items in place between the hood and the box but I think it is more for the delivery of air and would not be very effective in containment if air was trying to be forced back out due to the CAI.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Just put a FTRA on my car today. Pulls MUCH better on the highway than it used to. It seriously feels like 15 HP at highway speeds. I blocked off the front of the airbox on my SS, FYI. That hood has never been proven to make more power over a stock Z28 hood to my knowledge, someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeG
Just put a FTRA on my car today. Pulls MUCH better on the highway than it used to. It seriously feels like 15 HP at highway speeds. I blocked off the front of the airbox on my SS, FYI. That hood has never been proven to make more power over a stock Z28 hood to my knowledge, someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I see what you mean about the hood. I think most of the performance numbers of the SS compared to the Z28 is benefited from the wider tires.

Maybe if you enlarged the intake area on the hood (i.e. WRX STI) you would see some gains.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

i have an ssra on mine (screw the slp it's crap) and i also sealed the hood with the weatherstripping they gave because i figured at higher speeds the air coming in from the bottom would be so forceful that it might leak out through gap in the box where the hood air goes to.