View Full Version : What's the real deal with t top cars?

69Nova355
06-08-2007, 06:09 AM
I heat T top cars are unsafe because in a roll over you increase your chances of getting injured/killed....possibly decapitated...

Just how unsafe are t top cars?

smok'nZ
06-08-2007, 06:36 AM
you shouldn't flip your car at the track and thats the only place your susposted to be speeding

y2k_ta
06-08-2007, 07:07 AM
The roof structures on the fourth-gen cars are identical between the fixed roof and t-top cars. The only difference is the fixed roof cars have additional metal along the edges of the roofline.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6231681&postcount=4

Fibbado
06-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I think like every F-body started out as a T-top car (frame and structure wise) then the roof panel was put on later.

I could be wrong though.,

RedWS6 00
06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I heat T top cars are unsafe because in a roll over you increase your chances of getting injured/killed....possibly decapitated...

If thats your opinion on t-tops, what do you think of fully convertible cars?

tylerdj
06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
The roof structures on the fourth-gen cars are identical between the fixed roof and t-top cars. The only difference is the fixed roof cars have additional metal along the edges of the roofline.

:werd:

blk98byrd
06-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I'll take the risk of being decapitated any day :rock:

Smokin00WS6
06-08-2007, 02:10 PM

I was just thinking about the same thing. Any car you flip you have the chance of being bush wacked.

1BadAzzWS6
06-08-2007, 02:18 PM
If you're wearing your seatbelt and not driving like an idiot you'll be fine.

Rhedalert
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I'd like to think the roof would hold up decently in a rollover. Anyone have evidence of this?

Jon5212
06-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Well in GOVT crash tests they must have done OK to be able to be sold, but as far as I'm concerned govt crash tests prove almost nothing as all the tests they do are under fixed conditions... no crash in the real world is under fixed conditions. :judge:

edwardswb
06-08-2007, 02:38 PM
if you are that worried about it pony up for a cage. If you drive like I do, it's cheap insurance.

69Nova355
06-08-2007, 03:44 PM

Well for one thing this is simply something I heard, not necessarily my opinion....and not something I necessarily believe is true....which is why I asked....but to answer your question I also heard the same thing about convertibles.

enganeer
06-08-2007, 11:46 PM
I cut apart my part car last week and the t-top section was BUILT. Talk about sleeper, it looks light but it is not.

ghardester
06-09-2007, 12:04 AM

He's right. When I had my '97 hardtop, on a cool morning you could see the outline of the T-top brace.

The Black Mamba
06-09-2007, 12:10 AM
T-Tops are fun. If you aren't a crazy driver, you shouldn't flip it. Just don't go driving the ride around in the rain with slicks on...

That_guy
06-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Man you guys are scareing me lol i was goin to get a WS6 in the summer. makes me want to keep the hardtop lt1

BTW are hardtop ls1s rare.

bboyxclub
06-09-2007, 04:44 AM
Man the chances of you flipping are rare. You are more likely to hit something, and bounce out of the car through the front window. Now that can happen in any type of car. Just go and buy a T-top and enjoy it everytime you go to the beach.

MaLfUnCtIoN
06-09-2007, 09:31 AM
If your number is up you will be killed whatever you are driving at the time. Why not go out with a smile on your face?

WS6 Rampage
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM

I think someones a lil jealous! ... :lol:

I frig'n love my T-Tops! Take a girl out on a date to the beach rolling up PCH with the T-Tops down on nice day and you'll understand!

Dip Stick
06-11-2007, 04:24 PM
The only real danger.. if you look at the appearance and detaikl section there is a link to some of the crashes.. is with t tops if you flip they have a greater chance of breaking off and entering the inside of the car. Hence the risk of decap or head ijury etc.

Whats the likelihood of such an event? I dont know :) Ive only heard of it that one time. My thinking is if the car is flipping the only real difference is having a vert over any form of hard top type.. But if yer flipping Im kinda thinking yer fugged regardless.

WS6 Rampage
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
I'd be more concerned about a vert than a T-Top in reguard to this topic!

NightWindDriftr
06-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Unsafe enough that it didn't prevent me from buying one. You buy an f-body for the drive, not for safety or crash ratings! :jest:

SchultzLT1
06-11-2007, 04:39 PM
i've never even come close to flipping my car, so i'm not worried about it. t-tops are chick magnets in the summer :judge: :judge: :judge:

Dip Stick
06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Well I know its a helluva safe car for side impact crashes. I walked out of my LT1 car with a scratched thumb.. after swerving to avoid a guy who came into my lane after merging.. then getting into a spin across all three lanes... jumping the curb at 50ish and then taking out the first tree.. only ti have the second tree destroy my driver fornt tire and get wedged between the black lits of my z28.. then spun around with the tree wedged into my front.. and slammed the drivers door into a telephone.. which then dislodged me from the tree and I landed about 100 feet facing the wrong direction :)

I was sitting with my right leg on top of the shifter.. with nearly the entire door shoved into the car with about a foot and a half front dash pillar and windshield crushed in about a foot and a half. Yet the side impact beam held and prevent me from dying :)

Damn safe car imo. I wouldnt go the speeds or drive the way we do in any other car.

WS6 Rampage
06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Unsafe enough that it didn't prevent me from buying one. You buy an f-body for the drive, not for safety or crash ratings! :jest:
:judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: .......

Rawr256
06-11-2007, 05:29 PM
My dad says his biggest fear is getting a call to confirm it was me in an accident and going and seeing my head between the pavement and the T-bar. I told him if I ever decide to take the car down a cliff he can worry about that, until than, I don't see the car rolling over to make it happen. :eyes:

Everything I have heard, the cars are safer than they are set out to be. One night cruising a guy yelled over nice car to me. He than went on to tell me how it saved his life from a 90mph accident, and walked away. :eek2:

kyle91z28
06-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Do you plan on flipping your car or something ? lol. That's like being afraid to go outside because a plane might crash into you and you will die.

NoSlowSS
06-11-2007, 05:42 PM

Cars with T-Tops are as unsafe as cars without them. If you drive at all you are taking a risk of getting into an accident. That being said, there is a statistically better chance of injury with T-Tops versus without... but is it by a reasonable amount? Enough to make you run away and buy a hardtop? Keep in mind F-bods also tend to be leg breakers in a frontal collision. Is there anough risk to avoid f-bods alltogether? Maybe buy a minivan instead if so.

My personal take is that the Camaro is safer than any minivan or SUV made hands down. The best vehicle in an accident is the one that avoids it completely. I have avoided enough accidents with my car which would've been much uglier if I were driving my Silverado... I have no doubt the Camaro is safer overall simply because of the greater manuverability allowing me to avoid or at least lessen the damage in an accident.

That being said, if I were buying a hobby car for the strip or track, I would prefer a hardtop car simply because I would expect to crash it at some point. For something to drive on the street, I would insist on T-tops.

ErikElvis
06-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Ttops dont bother me. What does is driving with the window like 3/4 of the way down. I always have this vision of me wrecking and slamming my head down on the glass taking the top of my skull off. Odd...

killerinparadise
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Ttops dont bother me. What does is driving with the window like 3/4 of the way down. I always have this vision of me wrecking and slamming my head down on the glass taking the top of my skull off. Odd...

:barf: oh man that is sick, never thought of that before. I think hardtop or t-top it isn't going to matter it'll take a lot to flip these things, 2 weeks after buying my previous camaro I spun out at 105mph on a long 45mph corner, spun around 4 3/4 times rearend in and out of the ditch twice and this thing was still stuck to the ground(I didin't know the area and the road was really cool after some rain early in the day). A few years later I was t-boned by a guy that ran a red light doing 50+ mph and didn't have a scratch on me, he was driving a 1998 volvo and the whole front of his car was smashed, the engine was pushed back 6inches into the passenger compartment. Always wear your seatbelt, you ever know what's gonna happen

LS1>girlfriend
06-12-2007, 05:54 PM

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6231681&postcount=4

that doesnt make sence. you cant say something is identical and then point out an obvious difference.

also, what you said in the link to the picture...do you really know for sure there is no extra support added by the rails above the window glass?

i rode in a t-top and thought the panel above my head missing was wierd...just me though.

96FirebirdFormula
06-12-2007, 06:10 PM

oddly i remember hearing about that happening to some kid from the school my dad taught school at long ago, idk that it took the top of his skull off but it killed him i believe... i always keep my windows all the way up or all the way down,

in my opinion it would take a hell of a lot to tip these cars over with the low center of gravity in the unlucky event that it did happen id say its just luck weither or not ur going to die

spy2520
06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
that doesnt make sence. you cant say something is identical and then point out an obvious difference.

also, what you said in the link to the picture...do you really know for sure there is no extra support added by the rails above the window glass?

i rode in a t-top and thought the panel above my head missing was wierd...just me though.

i heard the roof on hardtop cars is glued on just like the windshields, makes sense i guess...

Stang Killer
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
i heard the roof on hardtop cars is glued on just like the windshields, makes sense i guess...
yea they are...well i think they are ive chaged about 3 head-liners and they look like they are just glued....

billyb
06-12-2007, 06:37 PM
www.safetyforum.com/fcars/ do they still make any cars with t-tops

LS1>girlfriend
06-12-2007, 08:35 PM

t-tops are more dangerous...discussion over.

WS6 Rampage
06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Holly Shit!!!... I thought about that happening before a few days ago for some reason. :eek2:

noah89
06-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Get yourself a big wheel and be careful of cars back down the driveways. They might decapitate you too.

AronZ28
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM

The reason these cars are so dangerous are the inexperienced idiots behind the wheel. The fbody itself is pretty safely designed car IMO. Most cars did not have dual air bags and ABS standard back in 1993. I also liked how that article cited a high risk of ejection if you aren't wearing your seatbelt and cited that as a safety flaw. :jest:

ChocoTaco369
06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
lol, i know that anything is possible, but i think the f-body has to be one of the hardest cars ever made to flip over. it sits like 4 inches off the ground, it's like 4 feet tall and is very wide in comparison to height.

05 GSXR 1XXX
06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
most cars are test for 50-75mph.....

You own a f-body...so unless your doing 130 and flip...yea its unsafe... but tell me what car is safe at that speed?

honestly the % of you fliping a F-body is like 3% (i picked 3 over 1% because, us ls1 owners have a lead foot lol )

**comment about the head chopping window.. lol ouch! **

ICEMAN 31
06-13-2007, 12:29 AM
dont worry about the t-top frame, worry about the shit load of glass above you

69Nova355
06-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Going thru the glass tops is another issue. No I don't intend to flip my car. More the less these are reports I've gotten from a paralegal thru an attorney's office. Yeah they had plenty of cases of people going thru the glass tops.....

Another issue I've heard is when drag racing, something about the structural integrity of the body is decreased....

Dip Stick
06-13-2007, 10:42 PM
I have seen the older gen 3 t tops get torqued right off and fly up and shatter in the lanes when they land :)

As for a person going up thru the t tops.. I am thinking they had other issues such as retardism for not wearing seatbelts.. or reatrdism for traelling at such high speeds the belts break.. shrugs.. just initial thoughts.. but from my crash experience those damn seatbelts kept me planted. Then again I was spinning rather than flipping ;)(