New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pushrod job complete?? Running sluggish?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Scammer Alert!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pushrod job complete?? Running sluggish?

Ok so i finished my pushrod job, put everything back together, and drove it for the first time in about 2 weeks, and i dont know if its just me, but the car seems a little sluggish... i did use regula gasoline instead of premium, but i mean its not mandatory that i use premium.... could that be why, the guy who owned it before me always used premium i always used premium, 1 fill up i used regular unleaded, could that be why? anyhow, i was wondering if from having the coil packs, valve covers, rocker arms, all that stuff i had off to do the pushrod swap, maybe something i did or didnt do is causing this sluggisness.. or maybe its just me
Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ricks99ls1
Ok so i finished my pushrod job, put everything back together, and drove it for the first time in about 2 weeks, and i dont know if its just me, but the car seems a little sluggish... i did use regula gasoline instead of premium, but i mean its not mandatory that i use premium.... could that be why, the guy who owned it before me always used premium i always used premium, 1 fill up i used regular unleaded, could that be why? anyhow, i was wondering if from having the coil packs, valve covers, rocker arms, all that stuff i had off to do the pushrod swap, maybe something i did or didnt do is causing this sluggisness.. or maybe its just me
huh...LS1's require high octane. Why would you put low octane in?

Did you reseat the rockers down to the correct torque setting? 22 ft-lbs, rotate crank 180* and retorque to 22ft-lbs.

How do the plugs look like?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because you put low octane fuel in a vehicle that's tuned for high octane fuel from the factory, your knock sensors are pulling timing to ward off detonation. This will cause lackluster performance. Put 91 octane in, the little sticker on the fuel door says so for a reason.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Scammer Alert!

i mean it is running crazy sluggish, is that what you guys are talking.. ill take off and i mean no rpms, then it will pick up a bit but still very sluggish, and would that cause my check engine light to come on, cause thats on to?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

i mean it is running crazy sluggish, is that what you guys are talking.. ill take off and i mean no rpms, then it will pick up a bit but still very sluggish, and would that cause my check engine light to come on, cause thats on to?
Go to Autozone and have the code pulled....FREE

Then let us know the code, so we can help you out more.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Scammer Alert!

alright im going to go get the code pulled tomorrow, ill let you guys know, im just getting so frustrated
Old 06-08-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like improper valve lash or a bad vacuum leak to me. but the code may reveal all.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSXNV
sounds like improper valve lash or a bad vacuum leak to me. but the code may reveal all.
I agree
Old 06-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Teching In

going to get the scanner be ready to help me out
Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Scammer Alert!

ok the code has something to do with my drivers side front o2 sensor, my mechanic had a buddy with a scanner, didnt get the number of the code, but the car drives fine, but still not at top performance, can the o2 sensor have that much bearing on performance, i mean i have headers, but the o2;s are all still on, i dont get it
Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok the code has something to do with my drivers side front o2 sensor, my mechanic had a buddy with a scanner, didnt get the number of the code, but the car drives fine, but still not at top performance, can the o2 sensor have that much bearing on performance, i mean i have headers, but the o2;s are all still on, i dont get it
yes i believe the front o2 sensors do have an effect on performance...however the rear ones do not
Old 06-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Scammer Alert!

tt any help
Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

The 02's do affect performance. Did he say it was bad or not?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Teching In

The front O2 sensors work with your ECM to advance and retard the spark and timing of the ignition in your cylinders. If they go bad they will seriously retard the spark which will absolutely KILL your performance. If you’re throwing codes on the front O2's, don’t even bother messing with them, just replace them. The rear O2's don’t matter, they just tell the ECM that you have or don’t have healthy working catalytic converters. These will still throw a code if bad, however, I recommend just putting O2 sims in instead of replacing the sensors especially since you have headers, you will be throwing out high emissions matter what. Also note that old catalytic converters do go bad and become "plugged". This will also kill your performance if your car is still equipped with cats.