Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone else have problems with SJM prebent brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone else have problems with SJM prebent brake lines?

so a few months back i purchased SJM prebent brake lines for the hurst solenoid I had. I didnt feel like bending my own lines and flaring them, as I usually dont have much time on my days off as it is. I went to install them and noticed a few different points were leaking. Tightened them up a little and most the leaks went away except one. it turns out the flare was mis-shapen and there was no way around having to cut the pipe and reflare it, which is what i wanted to avoid in the first place.

SOrry for the vent, but im a little dissapointed in the fact taht I paid for a product to cut time, and end up having to ask my brother to bring his equipment to cut and flare an end.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not certain what happened in your case, but I would have been happy to get to the bottom of it for you. We've been manufacturing line lock kits as well as ABS kits since ~1996. Quality control is very important to us. Occasionally, customer has had concerns during an install. From the occasional dropping a component and breaking it to improper install etc. Any problems arose; we were only a phone call or e-mail away to help rectify the issue.

If anyone ever has a concern with one of our products, please call us. We are here to help and back our products up 100%. I would have made certain you would have received a new brass fitting as well as replacement tube if it was bad. Off the top of my head, I don't believe to date I've ever had a customer need replacement tube. I know we've sent replacement fittings out to some who damaged the brass internal flare from misalignment.

One major issue with a leaking fitting is caused by mis-aligning the tube during initial install. If the tube is not perpendicular and seated to the brass inlet fitting, when you tighten it, you will damage the internal flare brass component. The brass is designed to form to the shape of the tubing making a tight compression seal. If you've damaged the internal brass inverted flare from mis-aligning it, especially if you've flattened it out, it will not correctly form to the flared tube-end. Even if a tube is oblong shaped from dropping something on it...typically at that point, if the inverted flare brass fitting is new and aligned over the tube it typically forms to shape.

The above scenario is probably the most common. If the flared tube end is not seated into the brass inverted flare, leaks can occur. These are usually repaired as you noted by tightening the fitting to seat the brass into the flared tube.

On behalf of SJM, I apologize if you felt we did not meet your standard of excellence.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a SJM LineLock, lines where perfect no leaks here.

Quick Reply: anyone else have problems with SJM prebent brake lines?