Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet exhaust suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quiet exhaust suggestion

Any suggestions for a quiet exhaust system. I am presently setup for a smaller muffler. The quietest one I have found is the Borla XS. Its still alittle too loud at WOT. Any suggestions. Should I add another small muffler or maybe Cats?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

High flow cats will help.. I'm looking for a quiet muffler at low throttle.. I'm going to have a turbo which will help but I need to sound like a 3.1 at idle/low accell
Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

What size pipe are you running? Straight duals, H-pipe, X-pipe?

How are you dumping out the car? Straight back, out the side, or turn downs...dumping before the axle?

Each affects how much noise is reflected back.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the muffler on my dads 5.3 sierra is extremely quiet (stock muffler)
Old 06-09-2007, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

The larger the muffler you use the more quite it will be. You could also use 4 small ones on a dual system.
The further away from the motor you can place them will help keep you from losing any HP/TQ.

This gives the expanded gases time to shrink/cool not carrying as much volume or velocity. making it easier for them to sqeeze around the baffles (those baffles that you hope are designed correctly to cancle out the frequencies your looking for)

Also you could work on tip length and angle. This will adjust the sound that comes out like a trombone "try it works".

Dumps tend to reverberate under the car giving you a deeper sound (this is because of the reflection of sound where one sound wave piggy backs on the next and so on)
Also this carries back into the cockpit , so now your using your whole car to absorb the sound that would have other wise been on the outside.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had dynomax ultraflo's on my malibu with an x-pipe, highflow cats, full tail pipes and at idle/cruise its was very quiet. any type of muffler with fiberglass pasking inside is goint to "absorb" the sound better than say a chambered muffler. i think HotRod magazine even did a test a few years back and found the cheapy dynomax super turbo's out flowed alot of much more expensive chambered mufflers. the tubing size will have alot to do with the level of noise too.

sort clip of the ultraflo's on my car.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51&q=lt4malibu