Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can these speakers be used in rear hatch area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can these speakers be used in rear hatch area?

I've read that replacing the rear hatch speakers doesn't add much benefit, however, I have a pair of 4" kickers I never installed in my old car. The description is as follows on the box:

4" midbass/midrange driver
.5" Tweeter with adjustable directional sound lens

They look like the right size but when I was looking at the factory speakers it appears the tweeter is a separate speaker. Will these work? or should I even bother?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Banned

Honestly, if you have a good pair of components in the doors along with some decent mid fill in the sails, you won't even notice the rear hatch speakers. Especialy if you have an aftermarket amp pushing them. The only time you will really notice hatch speakers is if you open the hatch and stand back there. I run CDT components in the doors, CDT 8" in the sails (modified...I used to run the same comps in the sails minus the tweeters), and 2 RE Audio SE's in stealth enclosures in the trunk. The rear hatch speakers are disconnected. I've never missed or noticed they weren't there even when I had a basic speaker upgrade off my aftermarket HU I never noticed the rear hatch.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, people say not to use speakers in the back, but I CAN hear the difference in the sound when the rears are not hooked up. I like a full soun d all around not just coming from the front. I purchased Polk 4" components to put back there. It is not just a 2 way speaker but a 4" speaker with separate tweeter and a crossover. I am building my system right now. I have all the speakers, amp and a 10" powered sub. I know with all the speakers I have I will have a system that will surround me.

I say go for it.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might as well if you want some more fill -- give them enough power so that you can just kinda hear them (don't necessarily want them loud as possible to easily hear them, etc) -- then again, personal preferences vary
Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Since these aren't component type 4", do I just remove the small tweeter of the factory speakers?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Banned

So these MTX's are coaxials? If so just disconnect the factory tweeter and leave it there. Then take out the 4" and put in the MTX in its place. If it is a component and has a seperate tweeter you need to remove the factory tweeter so you have a place to mount your new one. Either way the 4" factory need to come out. The only reason I say leave the factory tweeter in place if you don't need the space is so you don't have an empty hole there.