Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here has bought a donor car for the drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who here has bought a donor car for the drivetrain?

I can purchase a 99 Z28 for $4500 with damage to the front and slight damage to the rear of the car. It only has 30K miles. I would pull the LS1/auto and part out the rest. Is there much demand for f-body parts - like doors, Ttops, rims/tires, interior, etc.?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look in the parts for sale section
Old 06-09-2007, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

You wouldn't be in Minnesota? I saw this ad here.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/346551143.html

Look over the parts section and see what other people are doing. Some items go fro a good price while others (like stock k-member) don't go for squat.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Demand or not, if you are getting a complete running Engine and trans with all accesories and little things, $4500 is worth it. SHould you be able to sell off a few things, that is just gravy!

We have not bought parts cars for the drivelines, but we have bought donors vehicles for sheetmetal, frame and whatnot. Not all cars out there have the aftermarket support that the Camaro does!

Where in the twin cities are you? We are up towards North Branch.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, that's the one in moorhead, I live around 2.5 hours south of there. Just curious, how much work is involved in pulling the drivetrain?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

How much do want to save versus just rip it out?

I took my time and pulled off everything SINGLE piece, harness and component, nut, bolt, etc and saved and boxed it. I probably have around 40 hours just in the deconstruction of the parts car and disposal with a sawsall.

If you do not care about the wire harness, brake lines, ac lines, and misc items, you could drop the engine and tranny out along with the K-member in a few hours. I pulled it using the frontal extraction method.

And what tools do you have? This will make a difference. I had all the hand tools available. If you don't have a lift, it makes it harder but there are other options if you have a sawsall. If you don't have a sawsall, buy one! Get the Milwaukee demo pack, the 'AX' 8" blade with rip the **** out sheetmetal like a chainsaw horror movie - just keep the blade oiled every so often (eyes and hearing protection is a must). For the windshield, I used a 12" thin blade with oil and cut it out.

My donor car was damaged in the same manner as that car.

Removing the damaged front for room to work. I love sawsalls!

No frills interior - requires removing the t-top to drive. Like the custom red seat?

Ready to cruise? Maybe not.

Lift out...yeah right have you seen how far they tuck these engines in. Drop out...if only I had a lift. That leaves one option...Full Frontal extraction.

Here is a hint, use moving dollies.

I placed them under the k-member and transmission. Using two jacks (one under the k-member, one under the trans mount, support them both while removing the mounting bolts at the k-member, tranny and struts (plus disconnect the shift linkage and driveshaft at the rear). Slowly lower both jacks so the assy sets on the dollies.

Not much left

Last edited by enganeer; 06-10-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Hey ENGANEER Where do you live? Im in Minnetonka and am doing a LS1/4L60 conversion into a '68 cutlass. I talked to that guy about the car you ended up buyinbg. Didn't want the hassles of parting it out. I ended up with another LS1.

I'm gathering parts hoping to start my project this fall. I would like to compare notes sometime as our conversoins will be very similar.

Eric Anderson (eric@dynequip.com)
Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Eric,

I am in the Rogers area (NW metro area). Comparing notes would be great, as it will be a learning experience.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a wrecked 99 Z-71 to part out. I needed the engine and tranny and harness for my 69 camaro. My brother needed the rear end for his truck. I sold a door, frame, the bed (damaged pretty good), the seats, the wheels (curbed severe), mismatched tires, windows, window switches, all of the scrap aluminum, and the calytic converters($110 at a recycle center), and the entire roling chassis. I sold my 4 wheel drive tranny for $300 and found a 20 k mile 4l60e out of a firebird for $500. I sold everything on ebay, and made out like a bandit. I have my engine and tranny and the rear end and still made something around $500. I only had $2400 in the truck, but it had 90K on it. Sounds like a deal. If I had found it I would have jumped at it. It does take time to tear down, but if you are on a tight budget like me, it is a wise choice. You get so many extras also. I bought a donor car for a lt1 in a 67 nova and found that I could use the lt1 tank, the fuel line, and the radiator from the 95 camaro. I am currently looking at spending at least $700 to get these items for the current project. On a side note, I am looking for a pair of late model camaro seats and console. Let me know I might be your first sale.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Conversion master

Where do you guys find the wrecked cars to buy?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are accidents everyday! Check you local recyclers, junk yards, papers, impound lot sales and repairable brokers. A lot of it is just being lucky!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

I bought my wrecked 98 z28 for 1200, 4500 seems really high to me.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Donor cars are the only way to fly. 4500 doesnt seem so bad. Especially if there are some good parts to get rid of.

The car will pay for itself when you have all the wiring and references to do the swap... Knowing how it came apart really helps when putting it back together. You also know that you have everything you need, and if it runs now, it will run later.

Got mine with light pole damage behind the drivers door. Chassis all tweaked and twisted. Was able to sell entire front clip, interior, rag top, rear bumper and lights, and a bunch of other odds and ends.

J.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your willing to put in the time to part out the car you should be able to recoupe about half your money or so. I've parted out two cars so far. I start with forums like this first and then move on to Ebay to get rid of the rest. It's alot of work and will probably take about a month, But you have every thing you will possibly need for the swap already.

Re'
Old 06-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Teching In

I got a screaming deal on my donor vehicle. I got a 2003 1/2 ton suburban for 300 bucks. But I have a connection, my little brother drives a tow truck in Sun Valley Idaho, he comes across some pretty good deals.

Quick Reply: Who here has bought a donor car for the drivetrain?