Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New center console design

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New center console design

Hello everyone...just checking to see if there is interest in a newly designed center console to get rid of the big, ugly, more or less useless GM product.

Me and my friend are in the process of making a new center console with a much lower profile than the GM console. The plan is to get rid of the bulky stock one and replace it with a low profile sleek one to clean up the center of the car. The consoles we are currently doing the R & D on are going to be made of fiberglass. There are going to be 3 guage holes made down underneath the HVAC controls angled upwards for easy reading. Also there are going to be two spots for drinks in the middle of the console, right behind the shifter. We do not have pics right now, but we are laying the fiberglass currently.

We can probably cover these with carpeting, paint, stainless, rubber coating, or carbon fiber mat. I do not know, I was just trying to see if anyone would be interested.

How many people think there needs to be a replacement for the GM product and how much are you willing to pay?

I am basically guaging interest in such an item. Right now me and my friend have no intentions of making more than 3, but if there is a lot of interest in one, then we may make more.

Thanks guys,
Joe
Old 05-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New center console design

I'd be pretty intrested. I would have to see it 1st to give you a price though. But probably no more, or at $150.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

id shell out 100 all day.now if its a thing of beauty and it matches the color and grain to a T then more of coarse. id prototype a oem version show pics and offer it at a reasonable price. now for the upgraded finishes of coarse you charge more. theres where there is a big increase in your profit margain, the uniqueness. a nice carbon fiber unit...i thing the bling king steve2000ss will give a kidney for it! also why dont you through in a removable piece so we could chand shifters dayly if we wanted! .
good luck...send me an email pic when its ready!
Old 05-03-2003, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

To be successful at something like this, youve gotta understand that it has to blend with the car perfectly. It cant scream aftermarket at all, but a good design and good craftsmanship will take care of that. The main thing is, is to find coverings, and paint, and dyes that match the interior colors of the existing cars, and apply them well. If it looks good in the car, and has a good ammount of function, it will sell.

Id guess about $125 for a basic no-frills one, and up to $275 or so for options.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I would be VERY interested, but as someone already said, it would have to blend in perfectly. I am also currently working on a center console piece and a radio bezel design.

Keep us posted. If it looks good and can come in carbon fiber, then you got my money (at the right price of course )
Old 05-03-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok.. if its done RIGHT then the price will be more than if done just ok.. For a non-painted unit the plastic has to be right on.. the color has to be right on.. you cant look at it and say "oh, thats been added" it has to look OEM..

But, if its a smooth unit then you have a little leeway.. If its impossible to match the color/grain of the OEM plastic then go smooth. This way the consol can be be painted (black or color matched), covered in fabric, covered in leather (ummm) or even overlaid in CF.. NOTE!! if overlaid in CF then it has to be real CF (like my interior pieces).. non-matching CF just looks out of place

Would the unit have a consol? I love the idea of the guage cut-outs as im presently working on a insert to have two guages where the little cubby and cig lighter is now.. (oh, bag the cig light.. you shouldnt smoke in the car anyways and there is another plug for your cell phone )

Let us know how the project evolves!
Old 05-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Steve2000SS, Check your e-mail on this board.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im withthe no cig lighter thing. Also, make a small covered section like the ashtray now, but include a couple of togle switches for nitrous and elec cut outs and so on. Im thinking that these things should just be made on acustom order basis. its too many different things that people would want. I know a lot of people would want to do away with the cup holders all together and everyone is gona want different features arnyways. You should also make a new center dash design that was made for an aftermarket headunit that has a smaller opening for the aftermarket head unit to fit without an install kit.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd have to see the piece first before giving you a true answer, but if it's nice I'd def. swap out my GM part for something aftermarket...
Old 05-05-2003, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt put 2 cupholders behind the shifter. Then it would be as crappy as a mustangs' center console....every shift you spill your slurpy
I would just reuse the factory side-swinging cupholder for the 2nd one.
and if the console is too much lower than the factory, you wont have as good of an arm rest :p
Old 05-05-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I can already see a fatal flaw in your design. The cup holder behind the shifter in the stock console is just about usless. I use the passenger one at all times otherwise I can't even drive my car right. Your making not 1 but 2! That's a total waste, and will make the console look even more tacky having 2 cup holders that you cant use. And why make two cup holders in the console? There only needs to be a total of 4 not 5; there are only four seats, so you need 2 for the front and 2 for the back. Unless someone is slammin' two drinks at the same time while trying to balance their drinks because of your wacky *** shifting because of the damn double cup holder thats in the way of your arm. That sounds like fun. :p
Old 05-05-2003, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

- Under $200 for basic console
- No cup holders at all, use the passenger one, passenger can hold theirs
- Guage openings good!
- Optional electrical switches for N2O, etc.
- Optional setup for aftermarket automatic shifters?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Cup holders??? you guys let people drink in your car ?? eeeek.. trust no one.. ive learned my lesson from abrupt starts with weak handed passengers ::ahem:: ladies Good luck with your design though.. ill def. be interested in one!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Okay guys, I get the idea...no cup holders!!! Thanks for the input though

We were only going to make one with the cupholders I think anyways, but I guess no one even wants them, so it will be out the window. As of right now there is only going to be an intergrated leather boot for a manual transmission car....the automatic will be coming in the future, when we have a test vehicle for it.

As of right now we are undecided on the finish. Mine will be finished in carpeting though. It will match the GM carpeting. My friend has not decided what his will be finished in, but I think he is going to go with the vinyl GM plastic look. We will probably finish another one in a black enamal and then have Stainless or chrome trim on it around the shift boot. There will be no cigarette lighters in the console. Instead the space will be used to house three cutouts for the standard 2 5/8" guage.

Basically there is going to be a lot of flexibility in the design in terms of guages, switches, trim, and cover. The console is going to use all the stock bolt locations, so putting it in will not be a hassle. It will be slightly shorter than stock and just tall enough to cover the Airbag sensor. Incorporating a parking brake boot is yet to be worked out, but will probably be similar to the shift boot.

When we have our prototypes done, I can post some pics and get some feedback, but in the meantime keep the suggestions coming!! Basically we are designing something that will clean up the interior dramatically and may have other parts to come....rear hatch side panels, rear seat side panels, etc....

Thanks for the input,
Joe
Old 05-06-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be all over one of these IF those guage holes were 2 5/8. Also room for toggles would be good. but like stated before this thing cant scream aftermarket part. Must look like it came from the factory with it and be in the 150 range for me to consider it.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Well, looks like all the suggestions made are things I would have asked for. I'm interested in a paintable piece, or something that matches the stock plastic exactly with an aluminum trim around the shift boot.

Keep us updated. I would start a spreadsheet with everyone's email so you can email us all when you're done. That way none of us miss out.

Word,
Jon
Old 05-07-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be interested, but like others, I would have to see the pics first. A great idea though, the present center consule is useless.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

anything happening with this yet?
Old 05-27-2003, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

It is moving along very slowly right now....got side tracked with a few other customization projects. We should have a complete product done here in the next 2 weeks or so.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

cool. Please keep us informed